Removing (rattle can?) paint from a painted frame

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've picked up a suspension frameset which has had a colour change in parts, possible by rattle can spray or similar.
It looks as though the original paint underneath may be sound as the re-spray colour is coming away in places.

Anybody got any tips on how best to attempt to remove the re-spray paint without damaging the original paint beneath?
It's not particularly critical that I remove the paint as the frame part I want to re-use is unaffected, but it would be nice to save the re-painted bits if I can do so easily.

I'll pop some pics up when I get chance.

Re:

Plastic scraper, bic biro lid or something like that with an edge that will essentially chip and scrapes away the loose bits. You can always wet and dry or t-cut afterwards.

Test a small area on the underside first.
1. I first start with 90-99 percent drinking alcohol; Denatured alcohol sometimes works but the added chemicals can cloud the original paint. Alcohol is great because if it is "too hot" or active and is removing the overpaint but you are seeing the original lifting as well you can slow down the process by adding a little water to reduce the proof.
2. I go with graffiti remover from the home improvement store. Many different types so you need to experiment what works best with your over paint.
3. Acetone
4. Goof-off, they sell different types and they are not the same (they work on different paint binders differently.

Work small areas using postage stamp sized rags that you discard after it is full of the over paint. You will go through a heap of little rags. If you use a saturated rag, all you are doing is pushing overpaint where you do not want it to be.

Back