Paint stripper for decal removal on a ti frame?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have a very nice to frame but the decals have seen better days. They aren't 'sticker' style but possibly water slide transfers that have come off in places.

I was thinking of using paint stripper carefully to remove some areas to tidy them up rather than remove them all.

Will the stripper do anything to the ti finish or am I safe to brush it on where I need it and await the decals to bubble away?

I've used acetone - but probably would be difficult to use for just specific areas of a decal.

Ti is very tolerant to many chemicals. The issue is if you use a Scotchbrite to wipe away residue on a satin finished frame since you can accidently start to make it a polished finish. A pressure washer and a plain old sponge with soapy water may be best for Ti which has a dull finish.

Think it would be best to remove the lot, carefully finish the frame and re-apply a full fresh decal set.

I can´t help you with a definitive answer regarding the paint stripper, but the Ti finish is very tough, I would be surprised if it can be altered by applying paint stripper. Maybe it can change the colour by removing the "patina" Ti frames tend to get over time?

But I would try WD40 first. Removing sticker remnants is in my experince the only thing it is really good at. Regardless of what you choose, I´d test it on an unconspicuous part of the frame.

This stuff with a microfibre cloth is great for removing any sort of adhesive stickers without damaging painting etc, use it all the time in my job for removing stickers from vehicle wraps/windshields, painted panels etc Screenshot_20220829-094020_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Woz
Back