Remember this absolute melt of a guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rwm1962":1gw37vg1 said:
Aye. I have too much fun riding & fettling to invest time in show & tell in a forum that tolerates crap like this. Not been here long enough to miss it.

Stick with it chap some really interesting info and helpful people here. Although relatively new myself I have found most people friendly and helpful. Only downside is I keep finding thing to buy.

Please resist enflaming further - this sort of negative content (aka trolling) would be the undoing of Retrobike's decent legacy.

Re:

Good morning all.

I am a little perplexed by the trouble and ill feeling I have caused?
Banter is one thing, but being called the C-bomb after two posts is a little confusing.

I own a Carrera, it is (I believe) a '97 bike. It was the one I had the most fun on 20 years ago when I was care-free and could still see my ribs.
I couldn't give a flying duck whether people think it's cool or retro or worthy. I like it.

This is where I went a bit wrong part one.
My first post was to ask a question about a stem, WITHOUT a pic and with the words Carrera in it.
First reply is fairly well known now...
After that it all got a bit weird. I seemed to have ignited something that was already smouldering.

My bike has a threadless headset, so a threaded one is of no use to me. So I decided to flog it. Xmas is coming and I've got a family to buy for!
Considering the welcome I had recieved, I decided to sell it on eBay. But thinking it was a little rude to have it identified and then say thanks by flogging it to the highest bidder, I sent a message to the most helpful person so far and give them first refusal.

So it's a bit of a shame that the OP to this post is a little annoyed that after they managed to jump in first with the first witty insult, they are surprised that I don't want to sell my crappy stem with a sticker on it to them...

There you go.
I've been called the C-bomb many times before, deserving or otherwise. It doesn't bother me.

Where I went wrong part 2...

I bowed down to snobbery and saw a Kona for sale near me. 96-97, mix of XT and Kona stuff, minging frame and minging forks.
I've barely sniffed the world of mountain biking in 15+ years. So my knowledge of what's what is a little rusty. Hence the questions.
I remembered that Rockshox used to paint their for a few key colours, I remember red and yellow were popular. So I asked the question?
I'm not overly-sensitive or a delicate little flower, but for a new user on this forum, the warmth of the replies can be a little cold. I was not doubting the accuracy of the replies at all and certainly not the quality of the knowledge. But to be told that the £50 I paid for the bike was £49.50 too much, is pretty much like saying "welcome new user, that's not a box fresh Yeti, now FO..."

So there you go.

I've got a Carrera that I love and am going to adorn with all the nice LX/XT goodies I've salvaged from my purchases.

So there's a Gange Green Kona going on flea-bay soon. Please don't be offended...

Thank to those that have shown a little civility and to those that bothered to read this long post.

I shall be deleting my account shortly.
Not as a 'throwing my toys out gesture' but the reality is, I doubt I'll ever be able to post a question or reply on here without a keyboard warrior being desperate to chuck an insult in or question my motives.

Best wishes again.

Re: Re:

Loola":2iolscbc said:
But to be told that the £50 I paid for the bike was £49.50 too much, is pretty much like saying "welcome new user, that's not a box fresh Yeti, now FO..."

Can't excuse it, but please don't assume that everyone on here is the same. Heck, its important that we are not all the same, wouldn't that be dull. But that doesn't mean that the name calling and abuse should be tolerated, and I'm surprised this thread wasn't locked / modded by now.

For what its worth, you are not the first to get that impression, likely wont be the last, and I say good on yer for keeping it civil.

If you do decide to go, then happy trails. But if you decide to stick around I for one enjoy seeing the not box fresh not top spec projects.

Loola,
it is of course your prerogative to leave the forum, but I for one would hope you re-consider as there are many people who use it responsibly, for fun and for help. I have no idea why the original OP was so vitriolic, and as you may have seen neither do many other users understand it either.
One thing for sure, the ‘call to bully’ someone on this site is normally stamped on quite quickly.

And I’ve noticed the OP hasn't had the balls to comment or apologise.

Really sad to see this. I took a break from the forum for a year or so after using it quite frequently (and buying too many bikes......you know the score)......so on coming back I'm quite disappointed to see this kind of post.

This forum had always been friendly, welcoming and massively helpful (the knowledge base on here is truly amazing). Please lets keep it that way.

As mentioned - there are far more decent people on here than not.....so stick around!

The world is full of dicks, many of them on the internet playing out some sort of hard-man fantasy.
I am referring to the OP here.

That's the wonder of the internet:
The anonymity allows the weak to play at being the big man.
The anonymity allows the target to completely ignore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back