Zaskar 9.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 426
  • Zaskar 10.jpg
    Zaskar 10.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 426
  • Zaskar 5.JPG
    Zaskar 5.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 426
That sure took some serious elbow grease to bring that back its current sparkly-ness :shock:

Its nice to see that only the Chain and rear cassette got binned and everything else got a good de-grease/Polish & lub and under the grime was hiding Middleburn chainrings!

So glad you saved this jem as many are lost due to folk not seeing past the dust and dirt. I'm sure you know this already, the Zaskar was the flagship model in the GT (Triple triangle) range and this one is spec'ed with XT/XTR
which is suitably at the top of the Shimano range and then you've got all the personal add ons like the chainrings and chain device which make it unique.

You've done the old Zaskar proud and it sparkles once more, :D

If your brother could see it now he'd be beaming from ear to ear..... and cussing in disbelief ! (I now I would)

Re:

Thank you everyone for such lovely heart warming comments. They truly mean a lot.

I had my first outing on her today. Only on the road I'm afraid supporting friends doing a 5mile running event.
Took a bit to get used to the gears but she felt fab.

Tomorrow we hit the trans pennies trail from Warrington to Manchester.

Just picking up on a comment, all the bits they took off her, the chain set I still have as they gave me it all back.

A friend told me today I must not take her to Llandegla Trail ride as she is too good to take lol.
Made me laugh.

Thanks again people and it's definitely nice to know more about the history and provenance of her.

Re:

Hey jo, Sorry to hear about your brother. Im sure everone on here can appreciate the way you kept his bike the way he intended, while breathing new life into into it and are now about to give it the use he would have loved to the past few years. The zaskar is a very strong versatile bike that’ll take anything you will throw at it, so you should have some fun on it! ;)

Also. If you were interested in dating the bike, there is a serial number on the dropout near the rear wheel axle, that denotes the age. Post it up here and im sure one of us will soon make sense of it for you

All the best :)

Sean

Re:

Hi Sean.
Many thanks for the reply.
We did 35 very wet and muddy miles together today on the trans pennine trail supporting some friends running an Ultra. Had an absolute blast on her and yes what I did throw at her she just ploughed on through it.
Had a couple of chain issues when I dropped to the smaller front ring where it got jammed but flipped over and unstuck it so need to speak the the bike shop about that.
Yes there is a number on her. It 1606.
What a fab first dirty muddy day we had a loved lol.

Back