Recovering a saddle parts 2 and 3....

Benandemu":3522k4s1 said:
I was inspired to do this years ago with a dead Flite. The result wasn't bad, but you could see the pitting in the foam where I'd not been patient enough when removing the old leather from the foam. Also, I found it really difficult to get the leather tight enough when a Flite doesn't use staples or screws to hold it down.
I've got an itch to do this again now that I've read this...

Contact adhesive. That's all I've stuck it down with and its rock solid.

Saddle 3 continued. (All the pics make the leather look pink - it's actually a nice rich red but I couldn't get the camera to get the colour right!)

Gluing time!

This bit is a pain in the butt. You never know how it's going to go.....

I ironed the leather carefully on the back of it to make it smooth.

Everything ready to go

Next job is cover the leather and the seat in contact adhesive and let it dry.

This took a few minutes to get right, smearing it round both items with a plastic card.
As you might know it does smell strongly this glue so I was soon pretty wasted.

Put the saddle on the leather and start smoothing it out by hand from the centre groove outwards.

This bit was the hardest. Fast work with scissors and glue got it sorted. However it was more difficult than the last saddle I did as the leather is slightly thicker and not as stretchy. So it was very hard round the tight curves.

Back end was easier.

Front end turned out ok.

Plastic bumpers were a bit scuffed so I sanded them and used a bit of wet and dry on them. Didn't work brilliantly but it is better now.

(Before shot!)

Bumpers back on and voila!!

Back