Recently finished very large scale Avro Lancaster model

Really enjoyed this thread, thinking to get back into model making with the kids now going.
She is a corker and it's great to read the replies, models & paints ain't so cheap these days, kits in the 80's anything from 50p to £15 max - Humbrol model paints in the 80's was 15p a tinlet.....tables are turned in today's times...kits from £6 to a whopping £800, Humbrol paints on average are £2.50p a tin, no longer is it a 'pocket money' hobby :confused:

Were you there ?
Square bashing for 8 weeks , March 1979 end of a very cold winter .. I had one major problem! I had 2 left feet .
Spent one of these weeks playing soldiers up on the hills near Catterick.
Fock me it was cold .
RAF Newton from there . Happy days . Snowdrop training school.
Both stations long gone.
Scampton followed. Vulcans still flying . Think of 4 of these taking off one behind the other !!!

Last edited:
That's a great figure you've painted, never been that good in doing figures, never get the eyes right :oops::rolleyes::oops:
Thanks Ian. Had a foray into planes. I've done a Douglas DBD Dauntles from Midway, a ME262 jet and a Junkers Ju52 1936 Olymics livery, which looks really odd with a swastika on the tail! They all took ages because I added photo etch cockpits etc...enjoyed them all tho.
I can instantly tell the Avro has taken many man hours to complete. Excellent paintwork.

Fantastic work, both. I was big into model making as a teen - even building my own dioramas (usually sci-fi based ones). The prices quoted adjusted for inflation don't sound wholly unreasonable - buying kits and paints was always a stretch even back then for me. Although I often got lucky. I remember picking up a partially completed Harrier from a charity shop. It was massive once complete. I suspect I got it for about a quid.

Pre-internet days, they often gave you a fascinating insight into how the real life versions were constructed and operated.

Parents chucked the lot out the first term I went to university. I've still got a Dalek and rather battered cyberman as I took those with me.

I got two model kits, I purchased During the pandemic, HMS Repusle and HMS Prince of Wales . I will need a large magnifying glass when I eventually get round to building them .
and enough tea to float a battle ship.
The cost of all the different paints is slowing their launch date down , and it's a wet winters day thing for me.

Is Bismarck allowed? A lockdown project.
Hardest part was getting the Swastikas.
Kit was a German one and Swastikas are illegal over there.
The Battleship looks great, 1/350th ? The Swastika is a touchy subject everywhere!
Folk should get a back-bone and stop trying to blot out history, good or bad.

I made the Revell 1/350th Tirpitz which went into a Barnes Wallis Museum.

Attachments

• 25568_1395818063362_143321_n.jpg
    25568_1395818063362_143321_n.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 6
The Battleship looks great, 1/350th ? The Swastika is a touchy subject everywhere!
Folk should get a back-bone and stop trying to blot out history, good or bad.

I made the Revell 1/350th Tirpitz which went into a Barnes Wallis Museum.
Thanks and yes 1/350th.
Agree about the swastikas. It happened and it's no good pretending it didn't.
Well done with the museum exhibit.

Good God that‘s a fantastic achievement (My father did the box art for Airfix ‘56-‘64 so we are reasonable judges of building).
Love the correct tyre swell on ground….

Back