Rear quick release + hanger

Martini-night

Dirt Disciple
20230618_112515.jpg Just a question, i have a:
-Above a 1992 frame on quick release axle + derailleur hanger.
-Bellow a 1992 frame also but with bolt tight axle and no derailleur hanger.

Frame U shape fittings are different,don't understand why?
Both bikes on same Shimano 200gs groupset+ exage hubs

Question: can i put a quick release axle on the bellow frame (with no quick release) as frame fittings are different?
Wont come out?

Last edited:
Yes you can, but you will also need to put a derailleur hanger on there too......the only proviso is that the spindle is shorter than the outside frame / hanger dimension, so it will actually tighten up. The clamp force of a qr is pretty high....its why they really don't need to be gorilla tight to do their job.

Here is a picture of my old trackie....it had an internal gear hub, but its the same principle. If you don't retain the hanger, everytime you take the wheel out, the derailleur will come off too....its just more of a pain.

20220625_142624.jpg

Yes you can, but you will also need to put a derailleur hanger on there too......the only proviso is that the spindle is shorter than the outside frame / hanger dimension, so it will actually tighten up. The clamp force of a qr is pretty high....its why they really don't need to be gorilla tight to do their job.

Here is a picture of my old trackie....it had an internal gear hub, but its the same principle. If you don't retain the hanger, everytime you take the wheel out, the derailleur will come off too....its just more of a
thanks for the advice 👍

Back