rear brake caliper clearance issues HELP!!

In the early 2000s most bicycle manufacturers were still working on the (now disproven) assumption that close clearances = more aero and more speed. It was also before the time of running larger tyres.

Wheel diameter is not going to be your issue, you wouldn't have gotten the tyres on if it was.

You probably need a 23c or smaller tyre and a shorter drop brake caliper (though if the pads are very nearly in the correct place I'd probably take a file to the top of the slot before replacing the caliper).

mechanicalvandal":3li2dkfx said:
In the early 2000s most bicycle manufacturers were still working on the (now disproven) assumption that close clearances = more aero and more speed. It was also before the time of running larger tyres.

Wheel diameter is not going to be your issue, you wouldn't have gotten the tyres on if it was.

You probably need a 23c or smaller tyre and a shorter drop brake caliper (though if the pads are very nearly in the correct place I'd probably take a file to the top of the slot before replacing the caliper).

Thanks. What is weird is that there is tons of room between the rear wheel and seat tube and also between the chainstays at the BB. It's just the brake bridge that has the close tolerances...

Yes, pads are very close to being in correct position, so I probably will take a rat tail file to them to get the blocks up a bit higher unless I find a caliper with better clearance in general

I'd love to find the "drop bracket" i attached a few posts back, but it appears to be a custom fabricated job

Re:

So, at 80psi the Conti 25c tires contact the caliper, but there is ample room between the top of the tire and the brake bridge. I've been told Contis run fat and tall, so I ordered some Vittoria Corsa G+ 25c clinchers, that are purportedle 1mm thinner and ~1.5mm shorter than the Contis. That will still likely be too close for the caliper.

So, anyone know of calipers that have even slightly better tire height clearance than Campy SR 11 single pivot? Would a dual pivot rear have better clearance?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 184
Back