Reader' MTBs --> 1998 (with contemporary components)

Bicycle Addict":26h2jqoa said:
This is about to get this treatment.
Marin Team Marin from '91 I have only just got out the bottom bracket after 2 years!!
Deore 2 x 10 coming, i have shifters, cranks, rear hub. just need fr & rear Mechs, brakes and front hub.
i am going to run Rockshox xc32 the 2015 with solo air, Funn rims or some new Alex adventurer rims, yet to be decided

Now this I will want to see :D

Won't the XC32's make the front end sit high though? (what's the Axle-to-crown measurement of them?) it'll be like "modern" geometry, slacker head angle ;)
Personally that suits me, but it could put extra stress on the headtube area?

jimo746 i think the height rise in the front will be sweet, as it is a little too with rigid fork so bringing the bar height up will be good.
I got the XC32's today, they look pretty good, this will be the first new fork I have bought, so I am pretty keen to get these on now.
Build will be a bit slow, cranks coming in the next coupla weeks, the Fr & Rr Mechs, will run older hubs/wheels for the time being, build a new set when funds allow.

Hello Fellas

Notice the furore has died down a bit.
Just 'up-cycled' a 1997 Marin Mount vision to present day - resprayed and everything.

Attachments

• pic01.jpg
    pic01.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 409
Wheels dont match - its making me itch!

Rant and ramble time:

Looking back through the thread, someone PLEASE show me the 'technology' of today that doesnt involve an oily chain being moved along an archaic set of cogs via a set of stretchy cable that dates back some 100 years or so since the invention of the derailleur?

We have pinion drive but that cant be retrofitted, the same applies to shaft and to some belt drives.

Di2 is a genuine 'technology' and is easily retrofitted to just about anything but still uses oily chains and cogs and early versions have no spares back-up.

Browning's chainset was another genuine innovation but is now some 25 years forgotten

So unless power comes from a phase plasma drive with a 40w range, 'technology' doesnt come into it.

As for weights, theres plenty of 40 year old equipment that would embarrass current offerings.

Heck, 'Sti' is getting on for 3 decades and modern shifting is only quicker due to the physics of cogs being closer together. It still relies on the near 30 year old ramped cassette.

The same issues still plague riders today, rear mechs ripped off, chains snapping, cables stretching. Then theres the absurd 'international standards' that forever plague the industry - I'm sure theres mention somewhere of frames going back to the threaded BB?

Old frames are great - the cost of replacing a quality old steel frame with something brand new is pretty prohibitive for many if you look at a frame builders' pricing. New equipment is cheap when compared to prices of old, its a great way of keeping a favourite frame going no matter what the age.

Personally, I just use what works. 8spd adds that little extra when some of the old 7spd set-ups had a big jump between in some ratios.

'new' tyres are great! Theres some oldies that work very few that do as well as a set of new. Certain Wolber, Tioga and Panaracer but most were just awful.

Some quite shonky old riding iron felt a shat load better on decent tyres.

So, you'll get no opposition from many but just watch the angles of those long travel forks buggering up geometries!

Meanwhile, back at the Ponderosa:

I have a 1997 frame that will eventually get the modern treatment - when I get my finger out

It features the letters T, G, S, T and another S somewhere and 'thermoplastic' but thats all you are going to get from me.

legrandefromage":2nj5zyur said:

Rant and ramble time:

Looking back through the thread, someone PLEASE show me the 'technology' of today that doesnt involve an oily chain being moved along an archaic set of cogs via a set of stretchy cable that dates back some 100 years or so since the invention of the derailleur?

We have pinion drive but that cant be retrofitted, the same applies to shaft and to some belt drives.

Di2 is a genuine 'technology' and is easily retrofitted to just about anything but still uses oily chains and cogs and early versions have no spares back-up.

Browning's chainset was another genuine innovation but is now some 25 years forgotten

So unless power comes from a phase plasma drive with a 40w range, 'technology' doesnt come into it.

As for weights, theres plenty of 40 year old equipment that would embarrass current offerings.

Heck, 'Sti' is getting on for 3 decades and modern shifting is only quicker due to the physics of cogs being closer together. It still relies on the near 30 year old ramped cassette.

The same issues still plague riders today, rear mechs ripped off, chains snapping, cables stretching. Then theres the absurd 'international standards' that forever plague the industry - I'm sure theres mention somewhere of frames going back to the threaded BB?

Old frames are great - the cost of replacing a quality old steel frame with something brand new is pretty prohibitive for many if you look at a frame builders' pricing. New equipment is cheap when compared to prices of old, its a great way of keeping a favourite frame going no matter what the age.

Personally, I just use what works. 8spd adds that little extra when some of the old 7spd set-ups had a big jump between in some ratios.

'new' tyres are great! Theres some oldies that work very few that do as well as a set of new. Certain Wolber, Tioga and Panaracer but most were just awful.

Some quite shonky old riding iron felt a shat load better on decent tyres.

So, you'll get no opposition from many but just watch the angles of those long travel forks buggering up geometries!

Meanwhile, back at the Ponderosa:

I have a 1997 frame that will eventually get the modern treatment - when I get my finger out

It features the letters T, G, S, T and another S somewhere and 'thermoplastic' but thats all you are going to get from me.

Glad you like it! :LOL:

legrandefromage":2ww8grzi said:

Rant and ramble time:

Singlespeed :twisted:

(I know... it's not ''technology' or modern - just bringing back the pedantry - doesn't involve the stretchy cables and set of cogs bit...)

Back