Reader' MTBs --> 1998 (with contemporary components)

richardpaulbaker":et2066in said:
Surely putting lighter, more efficient modern components onto classic frames makes them even better than they could have ever been back when they were new ?? :D :D :D

Whoa!! steady on there.... modern doesn't neccesarily = lighter and more efficient ;)

Here's a pic of my (now sold) 1992 Kirk Revolution... Bombers, front disc, GXP chainset, modern Deore....

2013-02-24093406_zps49d7c661.jpg

Ha, I thought that one might raise a few eyebrows !!

Lots of old stuff was great, lots was not so great and didn't last.

Of course you're right Jimo, the same can be said about new stuff, it's certainly not all light.
But, generally speaking, as much as we all love our old bikes and the memories that they evoke, time marches on and materials and technology improves.
There are bike components available these days that we didn't even dream possible BITD.
Early XT with thumb shifters vs Modern XT with trigger shifters springs to mind.....

Some of the new stuff will fit on old bikes, so why not ? ;)

Full retro build is cool.
Neo - Retro build is cool.
New bikes are cool.

They're all bikes. :D

Re: Re:

CaseyShiremoor":lgc5ofhp said:
Man alive, this kind of pedantry in forums is why people don't post on threads.

Stand your ground used username. It was an honest mistake, unlike having that nice Klein sprayed green.

P.s
Still like my 1997 Klein with 2015 components better :D

Pedantry, he mentioned in the first opening post there didn't seem to be any place to put his bike as it was 1998 and not classed as retro by its standards, hence just mentioning there is a 1998+ section.
Not everyone notices or bothers to take a few mins to familiarise themselves with a forum.
Given there iirc it was a first post, its only fair to point areas out.

I did not demand he moved it there orhe had put in in the wrong section. Just wondered why he thought there was no place, when there was.

As for retromods or hotrodding as it was called earlier on in the forum life, there are many including myself who run new gear on old bikes.

Re:

Old frame with 95% original verses old frame with 95% new. Both full XT groupset. Both ride beautifully but differently. Modern XT is smoother but older XT is just as capable. Both bikes are an awesome ride.
Just build it and ride it!

This is about to get this treatment.
Marin Team Marin from '91 I have only just got out the bottom bracket after 2 years!!
Deore 2 x 10 coming, i have shifters, cranks, rear hub. just need fr & rear Mechs, brakes and front hub.
i am going to run Rockshox xc32 the 2015 with solo air, Funn rims or some new Alex adventurer rims, yet to be decided

Attachments

• 292952069.jpg
    292952069.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 498
Re: Re:

spokes":3f8fknif said:
Just build it and ride it!

Amen to that ! :D

Nice 857. I updated mine with air forks, although the Crosslinks are pretty good (better than the elastomer Vectors at any rate).

Latest posts

Back