Reader' MTBs --> 1998 (with contemporary components)

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":pk7bo93e said:
You missed the point entirely

....Are there Any more pictures of this Klein to show?

Your point must be so subtle I missed it.
In fact - you've got me intrigued now..... go on.... what was your point ?

Re:

Parkpre Pro Elite with 2014 XT groupset. Not entirely sure of the frame year but it must be pre 1994.
20140424_131147-w1024-h768.jpg

20140424_131251-w1024-h768.jpg

http://www.parkpre.com/litespeedproelite.htm

Re:

1989 GT Karakoram K2 - Transformed from rusty back of garage frame to fully functional bike. Maybe not a true Retrobike build, but in keeping with the thread ;)

Attachments

• DSC00108.JPG
    DSC00108.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 529
here's another parkpre pro elite :)

Rekiborter, your decals are the same as mine, and mine is a 95 as far as I know... I think they went to purple in 96.

Interesting that yours has a litespeed sticker on the chainstay - is that original, or your addition? I've never been sure how to tell which ones were litespeed-built and which ones were built in taiwan

DSCN9961.jpg

Re:

Don't have access to computer this week to give full reply but most notable difference is there are no holes in the seatstay and chainstay bridges. Also the downtube is not as fat.

FluffyChicken":383r7bs9 said:
There is a reader bikes 1998+ section, what is wrong with there given it's a 1998 frame?

Yeah, if it's not 1997 or before then it'll fit right in over on the Readers MTB 1998+ part of the forum. In fact if it's a 98 frame anyway, with more modern components, then that's probably where it should be.
But I get the impression the OP might get upset about that and delete his posts anyway.

Regardless, that's a nice looking Klein, its true they are really good to ride off road, but also on the road they're bloody good too. Light, stiff, quick, geometry and sizing aside there's not a whole lot of difference between that and an alloy road bike frame (obviously there's a million differences, but many of them small), stick some drop bars on it and you'd be worrying (and passing) a fair few road bikes.

Re:

Feel free to move it, if I'm honest I'm not one for trawling forums and had failed to appreciate that this could indeed have gone in an alternative section. Thanks for the positive feedback, it was nice to share.

Re:

Man alive, this kind of pedantry in forums is why people don't post on threads.

Stand your ground used username. It was an honest mistake, unlike having that nice Klein sprayed green.

P.s
Still like my 1997 Klein with 2015 components better :D

Love this thread.

I think all the bike posted look fantastic, like they've been given a totally new look/lease of life.

I've only got two old frames and they are both built up with a mix of old and new, which for me is the way to go.
All my other bikes are much more recent !

I've ridden my Salsa Ala Carte (91) for the last 24 years and it's had more parts bolted to it than I care to remember.
It's certainly not a period build, but the frame still rides every bit as stunningly well as the day I first saw it hanging on the wall in Ssshokwave in Nottingham.
It's ride quality is further enhanced by modern parts that work well.

I've also got a 93 Orange Prestige which is a recent project.
I applied the same logic to this build as I struggle to see the point in putting all old bits onto very capable frames.
Surely putting lighter, more efficient modern components onto classic frames makes them even better than they could have ever been back when they were new ?? :D :D :D

Attachments

• IMG_3592.jpg
    IMG_3592.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_3520.jpg
    IMG_3520.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 395
Back