rBoTM RBotM Autumn Rides Theme - Poll Up! Vote Now!!

road Bike of The Month

RBotM November 2022 Autumn Rides Theme

• HPL - Lemond Alpe d'huez

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • hamster - 1979 Witcomb

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • grantoury - van Herwerden

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Welcome to RBotM Autumn Rides Theme month.

This month we may be down on numbers but we are high up on class with something for everyone.
Thanks to those who entered and also to those about to vote and give encouragement ;)

Poll will run for 5 days with the winner revealed at the end.
Thanks again and best of luck to all.

Jamie

HPL - Lemond Alpe d'huez
HPL - Lemond.jpg

hamster - 1979 Witcomb
hamster79Witcomb.jpg

grantoury - van Herwerden
grantouryVanHerwerden.jpg

Those are all great photos with an interesting mix of bikes. Sorry I did not add an entry, but just not carrying the camera all that often. Good luck to all! (I notice the Lemond is sans front derailleur; intentional?). I am voting more on the photo this time around more than the bikes.

Last edited:
Congratulations hamster, the Witcomb saved from the crusher with seconds to go and now holidaying in Spain, got my vote. Love the way you have adapted with the down tube shifter, bombproof 👍 Can't see any reason why the Witcomb will not be able to handle a fully loaded rack and panniers 👍👍

Last edited:
Yes, many belated congratulations to Hamster and his Witcomb. Saved by the skin of it's teeth and now look at it, putting the lovely sunny and relaxed miles in while enjoying some warmth.
Thank you to all who entered, voted and joined in the banter, much appreciated.
We will take December off while we get Christmas etc out of the way and then come back with BotYear in January as well as another theme (winter?)
Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all once it comes around.

Jamie

Thanks chaps - and to @vcballbat who sold me the Witcomb frame in (I think) 2016, a shame I have done nothing to restore it, only ride it. It's had a few touring adventures already, down the Rhine and chasing the Tour de France.

Congratulations hamster, the Witcomb saved from the crusher with seconds to go and now holidaying in Spain, got my vote. Love the way you have adapted with the down tube shifter, bombproof 👍 Can't see any reason why the Witcomb will not be able to handle a fully loaded rack and panniers 👍👍
You never told me it was saved from the crusher!
I only left the rack off this time as I had to Rinko it to get it on a Spanish train. I have a nice Tubus rack and dyno lights for it which I had set up to do the Dunwich Dynamo in the summer. Alas, I got COVID in late May which knocked me out for 6 weeks. Definitely a plan for 2023!

Thanks chaps - and to @vcballbat who sold me the Witcomb frame in (I think) 2016, a shame I have done nothing to restore it, only ride it. It's had a few touring adventures already, down the Rhine and chasing the Tour de France.
Great to hear that it's getting lots of rides in. I had the same dilemma with my Holdsworth, should I restore the paint or just use it as is not having to worry about chipping pristine paint, like you I chose the latter 👍
I bought the Witcomb from a friend who picked it up from Romsey dump, um er Recycling Centre destined for the metal skip. Strangely a year earlier he found a large 25 inch Witcomb touring frame for cantis in white at the same Romsey site along with a 50cm Motobecane. All a bit of a coincidence makes me wonder if the Witcomb's were from the same family..🤔

Back