rBoTM RBotM April 2021 - Last Lockdown rides theme

road Bike of The Month
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not your ordinary road bike, this 1910 Dursley Pedersen was willed to me by a dear friend who passed away last month. He bought it at an auction while doing uni at Exeter in the 1950's. It reportedly was previously owned by the bishop of the church; Charlie got known around town as "that yank on the bishop's bicycle." In the past he did a couple centuries rides on this wheel.

I took my first flight since Covid to retrieve the Pedersen as his sister are liquidating the estate and closing down his house in Pennsylvania. My son and I rode through the village of Union Deposit, Pennsylvania (next to Hershey). We were able to dial everything in as the bicycle hadn't ridden the bike in ages. What an amazing ride, it rode so great for a 111 year old bike! It is wicked light as well.

The bicycle is pretty much original and has the factory three speed. I am on the lookout for correct celluloid grips it would have had when new. Charlie had the hammock saddle rewoven from a British lady in the 1970's (she charged him $27 plus postage). The tires were what he had on the bike, old but still ridable.

Thank you Charlie! The bicycle will be treasured.

Thanks for posting that wonderful ride. I can't imagine doing a hundred miles with that saddle and riding position, but I wouldn't know until I tried! My condolences on the loss of your friend!

Great bunch of rides and locations! Thanks for showing the "home turf" you ride around on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back