Ray or Roy Inkley cycles of Lincoln

Talking of bitd bike shops in lincoln anyone remember crag rat cycles? Shared floor space with FK Sharpes the motorbike shop.

Reading the name of that shop brings back some great memories. No trip to Lincoln was complete with my Grandad without a visit to Ray Inkley's.

poweredbypies":2uo2quq6 said:
Talking of bitd bike shops in lincoln anyone remember crag rat cycles? Shared floor space with FK Sharpes the motorbike shop.

I lived in Lincoln (BITD) for 9 years, and remember Crag Rat and Sharpes - don't ever remember them being under the same roof.

Rk.

roadking":21bwqrwl said:
poweredbypies":21bwqrwl said:

I lived in Lincoln (BITD) for 9 years, and remember Crag Rat and Sharpes - don't ever remember them being under the same roof.

Rk.

They were both at the same shop on the high street early 90's near enough next to the gentlemans one handed literature shop. :LOL:

Ray Inkley's old place is now a car audio place (I think that might be closed now too) http://g.co/maps/t9y9w

I only ever used that shop a few times, as I lived at the other end of town, but I always remember it as the place to go for all those obsolete parts. Lots of little drawers with different size ball bearings etc. Propper old school bike shop.

Most of my parts were bought from F&J cycles
http://g.co/maps/2tszq (Down the alley way) although they do mostly skateboards, BMX and roller blading stuff now.

f&j's another name from the past, never really liked the bloke that worked there. Used to have some good bits in tho.

Re:

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

Since joining, it has taken me a while to read the older posts !

Had to comment on this though :)
I have lived in Lincoln all my life, and remember very well crag rat cycles, ray inkley's, and barron cycles.
I used to buy lots of parts from ray inkley's, and had my bikes serviced there too. In fact, I had a 1990 kona fire mountain stolen from there when the shop got broken into, and he paid me what it was worth no problems. To top it off, I actually ended up getting the bike back after a friend spotted it in somones back garden through the fence :LOL:
I have fond memories of that place, as it was there I saw my first full susser, an early blue proflex, wow ... I so wanted that bike, and today, if I were to get back into retro bike ownership, that is the bike I would get.
I used to ride out to barron cycles, and always amazed at the self built frames. I remember lots of tandems there, and road bikes mainly, but a few off roaders.
Crag rat was a decent place too, although I didn't go there as much.
Great memories though, and on a side note, anyone remember the first bmx track behind Yarborough school ?
It was a proper track, races most weekends, but eventually due to so many broken bones inflicted to kids riding there in the evenings, they rebuilt it into a lot tamer tracks, and got rid of the 6 foot table tops (boooo lol). I spent a lot of time there as a kid on my bmx's.
I see F & J got a mention, I went there quite a bit until (like somebody else pointed out) I found out I didn't like the bloke (curly haired twit, loved himself), and so I went elsewhere :cool:
I used to go on the train to castle cycles at Newark which was an excellent shop, then onto some place in west bridgeford near Nottingham (can't remember the name of the place).
Great memories !!!

Other guys correct on the partly rebadged frames, I still have an old Winning mag with Daryll Webster{in his prime}on an Inkley road bike but the Raleigh heron still visible on the Front, Joey also rode some lovely Bob Griffins, Cyclist mag always had a few pages of glossy colour images

Back