Rattle can respray

why dont you read the data sheet of the 2k stuff and compare that to a data sheet of 3M masks :) But rather ask clueless people in forums? :) :) :)

I didn't know (cough) first time I used it (cough) but I'll be using a mask next time. Have a carbon frame to paint so I've got the Spray Max 2k epoxy primer also.

Reactions: enc
Tbh, I found the spray max 2k a bit shit. It went on very thick and orange peel’y. It was low gloss when cured and couldn’t be buffed to a high gloss like other paint types. My technique maybe? But I wouldn’t use it again.

Easy answers to your bad experience:

1.) Too thick and orange peely: You waited too long after mixing the 2 components. It was already hardening. Remember that as soon as you activated component 2, you will mix and shake the can for about 1,5 to 2 minutes maximum and then use the can until its dead empty during the following 5 minutes! If you paint something and then put it in the corner for 5 minutes and then pick it up to continue, its most likely already too late and not usable anymore.

Also, the nozzle that comes with the cans is the first that gets clogged if you stop the flow of the laquer for 3 minutes.

I use the following trick: Whenever I have to stop painting for some minutes, I remove the nozzle cap and put it in thinner - then pressure air it real quick and put it back on to continue.

Using 2k laquers is absolutely rewarding! Especially in the long run and when its completely dried out. Its MUCH harder and more durable and super recommended for bike or car wheel restorations. However! Your projects and your work-flow needs to be planned and precise. There is no time to fool around or dilly dally here and there in your workshop once you started painting. When you paint, you paint! Fast, precise and accurate and then stop! And let it dry most accurately as recommended!

2.) It was low gloss when cured: If a fresh laquer gets dull, you most likely used it in a too humid or a too cold environment. Or both! Never ever spray-paint under lets say 18-20 degrees Celsius.

Last edited:
I am going to put this in a seperate post because it cant be stressend and emphasized enough:

After so many paints (also non bike related) and also so many trial and error projects and paying dearly in the past

When you paint something: Do it paitently (!!!)

100% you will get runners because you simply painted too thick per layer and you were too impatient. I learnt: I rather always buy 2 cans more than originally planned for 36,00 Euros more per bike frame than dealing with impatience and runners.

Be super delicate and fluent in your movements. You want to make sure you get even layers and get the same amount of paint in every little corner from every angle of your frame!

To be honest: Painting a bike frame properly is like starting your school career in class 3. Painting tubes and cylindrical objects is far from being "easy" or amateur class.

This stuff looks different and specifically for bikes.

Reactions: enc

Latest posts

Back