Just repainted and stickered a 1995 Kona Kilauea 19"

Took everyone's advise and waited a full week before assembling. Gave it a light compounding and wax too. Not perfect but looks great from 3 feet away!

Here's the finished product. Don't hate me for mixing retro with new parts from the bin. She weighs in at 23 lbs including the OneUp flat pedals.

Vintage XTR hubs, new Sapim butted spokes and nipples, NOS Mavic 138s, Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 1.6 tires and standard tubes, Avid SD 7's, Original Sugino crank with 32T Wolf Tooth, SunRace 11x42 (10sp) cassette, Goatlink and XT 10sp derailler, Thomson seatpost and stem, Ergon saddle, Carver fork, old school Cane Creek SE-2K headset, Spank Oozy "vibeocore" bar, Deathgrip (size thick) grips and a cheap Deore 10 speed shifter. Couldn't locate an original Kona rear brake (seat post mounted) routing ring so had to improvise with a similar clamp that fit the top tube diameter.

Attachments

• 20230113_115338.jpg
    20230113_115338.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 20230113_115416.jpg
    20230113_115416.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230113_112202.jpg
    20230113_112202.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 67
That's very nice indeed.
It looks like it's just come straight out of the showroom.
I too am guilty of putting new parts on old frames, as I have a Salsa Ala Carte 1991 that I've own since new, and it's evolved over the years.
I've always been putting new bits on there as things wear out and upgrading.
I'm currently in the process of repainting it so it's great to get a bit of advice from this thread.
Well done!

That's very nice indeed.
It looks like it's just come straight out of the showroom.
I too am guilty of putting new parts on old frames, as I have a Salsa Ala Carte 1991 that I've own since new, and it's evolved over the years.
I've always been putting new bits on there as things wear out and upgrading.
I'm currently in the process of repainting it so it's great to get a bit of advice from this thread.
Well done!
This particular 19" Kona Kilauea was so abused and parts swapped out already when I got it that sourcing original parts just didn't seem like the way to go. I did reuse the crank and the seat post collar and still have the 8 speed and 3x rings and deraillier in the parts bin for other projects. Nothing else was original though when I got it.

Bike was very rough when I got it last month. Looks fairly good for an automotive rattle can paint job. Wet sanded down to metal 80%, two coats primer, 2 coats pearl white, stickers, then three light coats clearcoat. Used Dupli-color lacquer. Waiting 48 hours and maybe will wax with a light compound before assembling?
Looks really good! Can I ask where you got the decals?

Looks pretty nice. Glad you ditched the front fork that came with the bike- really looked like the geometry was pretty off. Have you considered stuffing 650b wheels and tires on there since you're runnings semi-slicks? Looks like you can get away with it.

Back