RANDONNEUR HIGHLAND OVERNIGHTER RIDE 19-20 AUGUST 2017

I can do you a single man lightweight tent for £20 posted. Will foind a pic. Old but perfect. Like us.

Jamiedyer":1xtezym9 said:
The Bealach na Ba climb is easy enough, it's just long. Applecross to Achnasheen is relatively flat or rolling roads

Slightly underplaying it Jamie ! Or maybe I'm grossly unfit :oops: I did the Bealach at the begining of June for the first time. Modern carbon bike with compact chainset and 12-28 cassette about 8kg weight.
For the first time in many years I had to get off and walk uphill. I just couldn't turn the pedals.
And the coast road is arguably harder. No big climbs but lots of small sharp hills which drain the energy.
Just sayin' incase anyone actually thinks its easy.

Hawmaw":1mdn7sro said:
...Slightly underplaying it Jamie ! Or maybe I'm grossly unfit :oops: I did the Bealach at the begining of June for the first time. Modern carbon bike with compact chainset and 12-28 cassette about 8kg weight....

It's not that bad, I did it in my 60s on a singlespeed. :)

And Jamie and I did it 2 years ago. I was on a bike with an Alfine so the low gear would be about the same as yours. It's definitely doable, and the views at the top make it very worthwhile.

It is a long climb, but there's worse. I will be crawling up (or walking) it this time.

Good brakes are more essential than low gears. We won't be racing or sportiveing, we'll just be wandering.

Jamie is out of contact because he's randonneuring in the rain with 50 tons of luggage. He'll be back home tonight.

Re:

I'd rather fancied this I must admit... Until today, when I did the loop round Shieldaig an over the Bealach :shock: :LOL:
Somewhat tough, and that was on my lightweight many-geared carbon thing, no luggage with me...

I'm really not as fit as I'd hoped :oops: :roll:

Hi all
It is a good run and it is a randonneur run for everyone and while it is a great stretch of road, it really is one of many in this area. While I don't want to alter the route too much I would rather we had people coming on the ride rather than the route excluding them. While it's not a race or a sportive it is also not meant to be a ball breaker.
This section of the route seems to be causing a few issues here so maybe we can alter the route to leave it out, maybe start further up the line near Garve and stop somewhere else and leave that section of the peninsula out that goes over to Applecross. Or Achnasheen, Strathcarron straight across to Sheildag or Torrindon with a detour somewhere for lunch on Sunday as the routes shortened. Will see what thoughts are from others interested but not on here.
Would this encourage anyone else to come really?
Is the original route really stopping anyone from coming?
Any opinions?

Jamie

Re: Re:

zimbob":26jb9e4t said:
I'd rather fancied this I must admit... Until today, when I did the loop round Shieldaig an over the Bealach :shock: :LOL:
Somewhat tough, and that was on my lightweight many-geared carbon thing, no luggage with me...

I'm really not as fit as I'd hoped :oops: :roll:

That was the same loop I did.

Sorry Jamie , didn't mean to put people off .

No, not at all mate.
I would rather have something that suited as I don't want it to be hard on anyone. It's a randonneur ride not a suffer fest.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":15204dym said:
...It's a randonneur ride not a suffer fest...

That's the whole essence of the matter.

The Bealach is just a hill when all is said and done. You don't have to grind up it in one hit, in fact you'll miss enjoying the scenery that is constantly unveiling itself unless you stop frequently to savour it. The cars will probably enforce frequent stops anyway.

And what's the point of climbing a hill if you don't enjoy the scenery? Your testicles won't fall off if you walk parts of it - which isn't a bad strategy because most cyclists go up on their bikes at barely walking pace anyway, and you won't be last up the hill, that's my job. :)

In return there's the best descent in the country down to Applecross IMO. That is something well worth looking forward too. If you've never ridden it, it should be on the bucket list.

However if the route needs changing, I'll be happy with that, there's plenty top scenery around there.

Re:

I have just read that its viewed as the toughest road hill climb in the UK for cycling. So anyone who has done the road to Applecross by bike gets my respect ;)

Toughest one I've ridden doesn't even get in the top ten but believe me 5 miles at a constant 5% on a fully laden tourer with not enough low gears is a barsteward. Thankfully the Hartside pass between Penrith and Alston in the Cumbrian Pennines has a cafe at the summit and the coffee and cake I had helped gird me for the indicated 40mph descent in Alston my bike speedo showed, proper brown trouser time with only mafac centre pull brakes to slow you :shock:

My personal favourite road descent is from the A701 above the Devils Beeftub down to Moffat. Wide but twisty with sweeping bends constantly downward for several miles, a freewheelers dream.

Back