Raleigh Weinmann 1985 531

originalshinkicker

rBotM Winner
I've just acquired this Raleigh.

It is in very good, original looking condition but just needs some TLC

My knowledge on Raleigh mostly just extends to the SBDU so I don't know so much about the other light weights from Worksop/Nottingham. This is a 531 from 1985, frame number WI5000003, so that will be Nottingham.

I know that after the 1983 season, the pro TI Raleigh disbanded and Raleigh Panasonic (Dutch) & Raleigh Weinmann (British) were started - please correct me if I'm wrong on that. So, do the Panasonic and Weinmann frames share the same paint scheme? I think that Raleigh Panasonic kept with Campagnolo while the Weinmann team went with Weinmann and Simplex.

Full spec is...

Frame: 59.5 Raleigh 531 frame and forks 1985 with chromed Gipemme dropouts
Rear Mech: Simplex LJ 4000
Front Mech: Simplex SLJ 4000
Brakes: Weinmann Carrera 400
Headset: Edco Competition
BB: Edco Competition Double Adjustable
Chainset: Edco Competition
Saddle: Cinelli Volare SLX
Stem: Cinelli 1A
Bars: Cinelli 63-40
Gear Levers: Simplex Retro Friction
Hubs: Suntour Superbe 28H (2x front 3x rear - flat SS Spokes)
Rims: Pianni CXL - Pete Matthews
Block: 7sp Regina Extra
Chain: Sedis Silver

This is the first road bike I have had without a single piece of Campagnolo or Shimano!

So is this Panasonic or Weinmann or were those frames one and the same thing and it was only components that differentiated them?
Would there be any brochures or information on this frame?

Thanks
Neil

Attachments

• Raleigh 531 1985 (1).jpg
    Raleigh 531 1985 (1).jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 3,251
  • Raleigh 531 1985 (2).jpg
    Raleigh 531 1985 (2).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 3,244
  • Raleigh 531 1985 (3).jpg
    Raleigh 531 1985 (3).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 3,248
  • Raleigh 531 1985 (4).jpg
    Raleigh 531 1985 (4).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 3,246
  • Raleigh 531 1985 (5).jpg
    Raleigh 531 1985 (5).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 3,248
Re:

Gosh that's a peach! Some of the best kit out there from bitd.

The Weinmann team frames were 753 and the spec not far off what you have. It's just the Suntour hubs I think that would possibly have been Maillard

Re: Re:

gavr":3v7wki71 said:
Gosh that's a peach! Some of the best kit out there from bitd.

The Weinmann team frames were 753 and the spec not far off what you have. It's just the Suntour hubs I think that would possibly have been Maillard

Thank you. I've seen a few of these but not with this kit, most have been Shimano 600. It is the kit that made me go for it. I'm guessing the wheels were specifically built with those hubs as you said, the Weinmann team I believe, used Maillard Helicomatic. I've never been a fan of helicomatic, just never seemed to be as popular.

I'm just not sure what the difference is between a 'panasonic' and 'weinmann' frame is?

Re:

If you can find it - there's a 1984 or 5 catalog photo with the R-W team, the young Malcolm Elliot et al and underneath is the team bike spec if I remember rightly...

Re:

This is the 1985 Raleigh/Weinmann Team replica was built to special order (Allow 3 months) came with Maillard 700 hubs Weinmann 904 sprint rims, it is a 522 front mech, Maillard CXC 700D pedals, and a black suede turbo originally ;)

Re:

That's a beautiful machine. Lovely condition! :D

At first, I thought the frameset was a Gran Course similar to mine, but now I'm not so sure...

gavr":bk1kq5fc said:
If you can find it - there's a 1984 or 5 catalog photo with the R-W team, the young Malcolm Elliot et al and underneath is the team bike spec if I remember rightly...

This one?

Found via Google search. Apologies if it's anyone's from the Forum.

Re: Raleigh (Weinmann?) 1985 531

Thank you kermitgreenkona88. Is that catalouge available anywhere? I've looked on here and didn't find anything (unless I missed it).

I'll probably switch back to a Turbo as I'm not a fan of the Cinelli saddle.
Cheers
Neil

Re: Raleigh (Weinmann?) 1985 531

That is lovely,I think it's an 85 as the cable runs along the top of the top tube and the 83/84 ran to the side on the frames with shot in stays. Team replicas came in Weinman/Panasonic colours also used on team Raleigh burners so I think the cour schemes where the same across all the replicas. Those Suntour hubs may not be standard but they are fantastic. All in all an excellent addition to your superb stable.

Back