Raleigh RSP titanium frames

Re:

bikemeister2000":ilz6p3pc said:
The frame you have was made about 1999 to 2001 at the very end of Raleigh Special Products. The division was closed as Raleigh had acquired the Diamond Back brand and felt that the Raleigh name was detrimental to acheiving sales targets in a market where an "American" lineage was percieved to be superior. This was despite huge critical acclaim for all our products, which invariably equalled and often exceeded these "American" brands, most of which were built on Taiwanese alloy frames.

OK rant now over :D

Regards

I hope no one is bothered by me dredging up these old posts, but I have purchased one of these oval Ti downtube frames that became completed bikes for Sampson and am trying to get the most knowledge about them. In the US, it was sold as Sampson z7. If you look below, you can see I am gathering up info re this bike. I have posted re it in a alternate posting on this forum.
>>>
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=346575&start=30
I have purchased a Sampson Z7. I am not sure of the exact year, but it must be 1999-2000. My correspondence with Eric Sampson indicates that they were built for Sampson by Timet in Nottingham (I think that is Raleigh SPD). I am gathering any information that I can find and this forum site seems to have more than US forums.

the following link has some photos.
https://bikeindex.org/bikes/92363
I have also setup a Pinterest where I am gathering info on these bikes.
https://www.pinterest.com/mikerudinsky/ ... -z7-bikes/
<<<<
I did have some correspondence with Eric Sampson of Sampson bikes and he said the following re the Raleigh relationship and the Titanium used :

"re- production. We traded production , gave them ability to use my designs in UK, which they sold under Raleigh brand.

CP tubes, 6/4 fittings/drop outs. z7 was seamed , welded tube. CP was cold-worked which enhanced yield to almost that of 3/2. "

This matches other sources, but I have heard that some sources on this forum mentioned something was added to the Ti to make it stronger. Anyone have any information re that? I have heard that CP Titanium was not used in bikes very much and if it was, it had problems. What should I look for? Cracks near the BB?

I am not a racer but the frame seems strong to me... I love riding it, and the one that I have is built up with pretty high end components.

Back