Raleigh RSP Reynolds 853 - now built!

Final ride in it's 'original' guise; I'm going to try some different tyres as the bike just won't climb hills at all, tarmac, gravel, even adjusting the seat & bar position it just don't 'go'.
It's a shame as these tyres have been over roots, chopped-down tree branches (think riding over a raft that's not strapped together) and gorse, brambles & never got a puncture but they do make the bike a killer on a long ride. Also got a nasty creaking noise from the BB area on this last ride, so need to have a gander at that at some point too..

21835883946_a356e53cd4_b.jpg

21239289794_ec7ced8721_b.jpg

I still love those Magura forks, they fit the frame so nicely.

I haven't built mine up yet, but all the parts are there waiting! I hope it climbs alright, as that's my favourite bit of riding! Though if you suspect the tyres are the issue then hopefully it will be fine.

Hopefully the creaking noise just needs a replacement bottom bracket. What bb is in there at the moment?

If I have a free evening this weekend I'm going to try to get mine built up, or at least make some progress, thanks for inspiring me!

How do I ride them all? I take turns ;) It tends to mean 2 are in pieces at any one point so I can change bits, clean chains, service bushings, etc..
It's also nice to be able to grab one whatever the weather, and a couple are used mainly for commuting, so not set up for off-road (so for me, they are 'gravel bikes' which apparently is a whole "brand new!" type of bike these days...) I have nice shiny modern ones for real serious rides, and the retros for tinkering about & just having those occasional back-breaking knee-shattering rides that remind you how nice air shocks can be!

kingoffootball - I love these forks too.. Have to be careful occasionally as at 80mm they can't soak up some of the bigger hits, but the on-the-fly tunable damping comes into its own quite often. Just stretch down a hand & turn the hi/lo adjuster 1/4 and the perfect compression/rebound balance you had on a washboard surface opens up for bigger hits on a rooty/rocky track. It's not always necessary to tweak it while riding, but the ability to do so is bloody awesome!

Creaking noise is (I think) twofold.. I discovered that 1) the loose crank I had previously was a result of the tapers spreading; so I've filed down the burrs & taped up the BB axle for now to provide more material for the crank to fix to. I've got a nearly-matching set of Middleburns (silver spider instead of black) on my 'other' 450 tho, so going to swap those over & re-fit the granny ring to this one for a better range..

The other more grating part of the noise is the BB tho; which I've always had suspicions about. It was sold as a NOS UN-90, which when I got it seemed suspiciously heavy and was a good deal portlier than any of the UN70/71's I've got. I suspect it's a knock-off and is badly made. No way in 2 years it should sound like it has powdered bearings with the mileage it's done.. Will have another ride with it installed & if it worsens again it'll get swapped for a spare UN72 I found today while tidying!

If you want more (less?) inspiration; I've just finished remodelling my 'other' gravel-spec 450 last weekend too, having practically rebuilt this one too, what with cleaning it & stripping the crank off, BB out, re-aligning the brakes & stopping the seatpost shim slipping (and changing the tyres..)

So now, it's wearing some Intense ITS Series 2 2.1's and it's made a HUGE difference. It now climbs properly, accelerates and is less slippy in the wet stuff that I found last week (a concrete drainage channel covered in leaf litter & hedge trimmings..) I had the ITS's on another bike before, so I was pretty positive about them & knew it should make a difference.. Was either that or the wheels.. much cheaper to find out it's the tyres(!)

Unfortunately they've been round & trimmed back pretty much every hedge along every lane, track, trail etc round here, so I got a puncture about 1/2 mile from home! Never would have happened with the Ignitors of course ;) Fortunately my LBS is about 1/4 mile away, so quick stop to re-inflate the tube, scoot downhill home on the road & fix puncture after washing off the dirt/dung (it's also post-sileage muck-spreading season).

Really nice chap. Really love those forks as mentioned. Tyres make a bike, swap them out.

Oh yes, MUCH better now on the ITS tyres. Going to keep them on a while & see how it goes with them in a few more sessions into the woods. If I keep getting punctures I might have to go with something else but for now it's just made the bike better.

Just need to finish off its twin now..

Re:

I like that, one thing i would change is the wheel set. Those hubs look too skinny for that build.

By the way, what handlebars and stem are those fitted?? (apologies if thats already been stated elsewhere)

Osella":2ms2rcom said:
Final ride in it's 'original' guise; I'm going to try some different tyres as the bike just won't climb hills at all, tarmac, gravel, even adjusting the seat & bar position it just don't 'go'.
It's a shame as these tyres have been over roots, chopped-down tree branches (think riding over a raft that's not strapped together) and gorse, brambles & never got a puncture but they do make the bike a killer on a long ride. Also got a nasty creaking noise from the BB area on this last ride, so need to have a gander at that at some point too..
]

I had that, it turned out to be the Saddle and not the BB (on my Dynatech)

Yeah, I checked out the saddle/BB idea but the noise got quieter when I 'sit & spin', and louder when standing out of the saddle and pushing through the pedal stroke, so i'm fairly sure it's the BB.

Bars by the way, are Superstar 740-40's (cut down to 685mm) and the stem is a top-loading Revell stem I found on eBay that just really suited the build. The bars are awesome, very little sweep which I prefer as I like bars to be as in-line with the wheel axle as possible, it just feels right.
Not going to swap out the wheels unless I find something seriously better. I could use the PMP's from my RS Topline, but M900's are workhorses, and that's what this bike is. If it's muddy, boggy, raining etc this is my go-to hardtail.

Back