Raleigh Light Weight 1987 (Finished Pics on P4 16th Jan)

Re: Raleigh Light Weight 1987 (shiny bits starting to go on)

Quick google reveals there's a tool for taking the the crown on the fork down to the right size, so lbs is your best bet.

Thing is from what I can work out there were two size's.

26.4 which Campag have used for ages and 27mm which most UK frames used up until around 1975 (may have dates a little out). Then every one went 26.4 apart from JIS (Japanese Size) which is 27.

Now they are crown race inner diameters, but from what I can tell if you had a 27mm crown race you would also have a slightly different size head tube i.e the cups would be different.

So if the cups I have fit the frame it should mean that the crown race that came with it should also fit, which is a 26.4.

Unless for what ever reason Raleigh used a 27mm crown on this frame.

I will get the crown and crown race checked tomorrow, it may be a case that the race needs to be pressed on some how. Worse case I will have a little bit removed from crown so the race fits.

Just had a look at those tools, 95 euros start. Hopefully the LBS will have one.

Maca":i3k76r6z said:
Thing is from what I can work out there were two size's.

26.4 which Campag have used for ages and 27mm which most UK frames used up until around 1975 (may have dates a little out). Then every one went 26.4 apart from JIS (Japanese Size) which is 27.

Now they are crown race inner diameters, but from what I can tell if you had a 27mm crown race you would also have a slightly different size head tube i.e the cups would be different.

So if the cups I have fit the frame it should mean that the crown race that came with it should also fit, which is a 26.4.

Unless for what ever reason Raleigh used a 27mm crown on this frame.

I will get the crown and crown race checked tomorrow, it may be a case that the race needs to be pressed on some how. Worse case I will have a little bit removed from crown so the race fits.

It's not "worst case to have a little removed from the crown so the race fits" - it is "normal" frame and fork prep to cut and face the fork crown. 26.4 is the std size. Most people just whack the crown race on, which sometimes splits the race. The tool used will cut the diameter down to the required size and will also face the crown so that the race sits perfectly square and provide a smooth surface for the bearing race.

Once the crown is prepped, the bearing race is drifted into place and seated.

Every part of a headset needs to be pressed to make them fit - your headset cups should also have required a press to fit the head tube.

Forgot for a mo that this is a brand new never built frame so everything is going to require facing.

It was only after I read Shinkickers post that I thought that and its exactly what my lbs said, in fact I'm gona call him LRBS (local retro bike shop) as he knows all things old. He took one look and said oh yeah we need to face that you had to do that on all frames.

All sorted, collected the forks tonight with a nicly seated crown race ......... perfect and to make it even better .... no charge :)

Maca":ms4irqdz said:
All sorted, collected the forks tonight with a nicly seated crown race ......... perfect and to make it even better .... no charge :)

A sign of a great LBS.. no charge! :D

Back