Raleigh Light Weight 1987 (Finished Pics on P4 16th Jan)

Re: Raleigh Light Weight 1987 (shiny bits starting to go on)

It won't even go over the fork steerer tube?

I was gona have a go at doing that, how long should I let it heat up for ? I don't want to damage anything.

I put one in boiling water for 5 mins did the trick.

Well tried putting it in boiling water for 10 mins and still won't fit.

The whole headset is english thread and size, and all fits. Its just this dam crown race that won't fit on the crown of the forks. It does go over the steerer no problem. I give up I'm gona take it to my retro guy and see if he maybe needs to take a little bit off of the forks .......... its strange thou as every thing else fits fine and the crown race says 26.4 on the bottom of it.

It has to be "banged on" the crown. It'll be a pretty damn tight fit.
I managed to do it with DIY solutions at home on my Holdsworth, but never managed to bring it all the way down.
So went to a LBS and they have a tool for that, it's a 5 minutes job with the forks on the frame, so in your case it'll be a 1 min job :)

Well hopefully he can do it. All my other ones I've manged to do at home (DIY with blocks of wood and hammers) this ones not interested. Even used a bar that went over the steerer and sat square on the crown race, still won't go on. All I did was ended up distorting the bar..............my worry is it shouldn't have to be hit that hard if its the right size. I think he has a press.

Didn't know there were different sizes either...so, well will see what an LBS will do

Got a feeling there's two sizes...... Read it somewhere. I deffo had one that was too big on one occasion, had to shim it with a bit of a coke can.

The box of your NOS headset, says anything regarding size?

Back