Raleigh advice please

GTR

Dirt Disciple
I had my family heirloom serviced recently as it is over 80 years old and it was needing some tlc.

Since I've had it back it doesn't feel quite right but I'm after some advice over what exactly is amiss before I go back if possible?

The bearings were replaced in the crank, and the gear cable replaced but it is not the tailored length one that was originally supplied, so has a nut/bolt to attach to the gear chain rather than screwing directly in as it did originally - the SA KS 3 speed hub was just cleaned up as it was behaving fine.

What I've noticed:

One of the greatest things about the bike was the silence and seemingly endless free wheeling when you stopped pedalling. This is still good, but when braking hard with the rear brake there is a definite pulsing felt rather than a continuous 'even' feeling to the pressure of the pads. Also when you lift the rear wheel and drive the pedal the spinning rear wheel seems to 'pulse' slightly more than other bikes I have (they all do it a little). The pedals continue to turn with the rear wheel which I'm sure they didn't before - when your feet are on the pedals they stop.
I also have had a little trouble with the gears sticking, and when in top the gear sometimes slips for a second as if the chain has come off before engaging again - probably just adjustment required with the new cable, but as it's a KS Hub I can't seem to find much on setting this up.
When pushing hard on the pedals I can feel a grinding sensation which I think may transferred from the chain/gears somehow rather than the crank - I hope, as this had new bearings.
There is also definitely more 'rattling' noticeable when free wheeling where it was pretty much silent before, and this seems to emanate from the same areas (have yet to identify whether from rear hub area or crank area, but I think it is rear hub).

I'm thinking that maybe all these things are related - the job cost me a fair penny, and I'd feel happier going back to ask for it to be looked at again if I felt more informed.

Thank you.

Re:

Yep 1935. :D and in our family from new.

I think I may have found something to help adjust the gears correctly on the Sturmey Archer site - indicator should be level with end of axle when in normal(N). at the moment it's very slightly inside the axle so I'll ry and tweak it.

First check that the indicator rod is level with the end of the axle in middle gear.
As you now have no screw adjustment I would suggest a small movement of the pulley to adjust. See if it feels right when pedalling.

The rear rim may be slightly wider in places, or the brake surface has some variation.

I can't see why the shop could not do a simple bit of soldering and make a cable.

Your hub gear cones may be a bit tight. I hope they didn't put new wrong size balls in the cog side end plate, size depends on age of hub.

Perhaps you could confirm if they stripped the hub?

Keith

Re:

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your input as always :)

He definitely said he'd left the hub 'as is', just cleaned it up and lubed/greased the axle.

I might see if I can get an original 'fitted' gear cable as originally used by Raleigh - made a neater job and an easier adjustment.

So just an update - because I hate it when you read threads & never know the outcome!

(Of course I'm making a large assumption anyone gives a ...!)

Took it into the shop for the grinding I could feel when pedaling under load which was diagnosed as the teeth on the original rear sprocket being worn - probably only showed up after the service as the chain would have gone back onto different teeth which weren't 'worn in'.

Replacement ordered, but when it came it was solid and had no cut outs required to lock in to the hub...so back on goes the wheel, chain etc.

When I got home I adjusted the gears again to the correct position using indicator rod guidance, took it for a ride and blow me down, the rattle had pretty much gone when free wheeling and so had the grinding!!!! Went for a longer ride (in the rain!) to celebrate.

I quickly rang to describe this miracle, and we decided that the fact that they'd reversed the sprocket when replaced meant the grinding would be non problematic until a few miles time when it wears again - this will be many years away hopefully as I intend using it for short, dry commutes only.
The rattling must just have been solved by re tentioning of the chain etc when the wheel went back on - also the gears are behaving a lot better!

Anyway, Happy Days!! Enjoy your cycling folks :)

Good to hear you managed to sort it. There's nothing worse than that feeling something is not quite right but can't exactly pinpoint it.
Well done and hopefully you will have many more years trouble free riding on it.

jamie

You had the same bike in your family since 1935?!?! That must be a record. Either way, it is a very cool family story!

Thanks jamie, exactly right - Some mysteries are better solved!!

FiveAlpha, thanks...it's a long time but I'm sure someone out there can beat it :)

Back