Q: eBay frame/bike shipping

drwelby

Retro Newbie
I've sold a bunch of frames and bikes over forums but I've never sold one on eBay, so I thought I'd ask as buyers, what's your preference to handle shipping? I've seen some sellers include $200 for BikeFlights and maybe the refund the difference? Or is it good enough to say shipping will be calculated upon purchase?

As a buyer I don’t care what the seller quotes, I just offset my bid accordingly. If they’re charging £30 to ship a frame and it only costs 15 or £100 to ship a complete bike when I know it’s around half I’m not going to complain, because I accept their quote and bid accordingly. Most aren’t used to posting such items.
As an eBay seller, I list absolutely everything I’m prepared to post with free postage, just keeps it so simple and nobody can complain.

If the bike/frame is packaged and ready to go you'll know weight and dimensions so i would just stipulate that shipping is a rough guide for say the lower 48 and will be calculated exactly upon sale. You can also ask bidders to send their delivery details to give them an exact quote.
If somebody does bid and doesn't agree with the quote you can cancel the auction. BTW cancelling a bid as a potential buyer and as a seller is easier from the mobile app than the actual site.

Back