Pro's and Con's on Air Shocks against Coil

Air springs are Rising Rate springs, that is, the spring rate curve gets steeper the more it is compressed, while standard springs have a Linear Rate, unless they are Progressively wound. As an example, if it takes 50 pounds pressure to move an air spring one inch, it is going to take much more than another 50 pounds to compress it the next inch, and so on. With a standard wound spring, however, the first inch might take 50 pounds pressure, and the second inch of travel is going to take just another 50 pounds, or 100 pounds total to go the second inch, and so on. There are Progressively wound steel springs also, they get thicker towards the bottom. Air Springs are lighter and more common, while DH bikes prefer steel for the big hits-plus weight isn't such an issue on a DH bike.

ape":3lub5626 said:
cyfa2809":3lub5626 said:
are you selling your balfa? is it a bb7? are they retro now?

Lol no god no I'm not selling it, I'm a little bit attached to it lol, not sure if they're considered retro probably not, mine is a 2005 model but thats when they ended production you can get older though, the forks are old school shivers though, and the wheelset are is oldschool too, biguns laced sun doublewides although I've considered getting rid of them to get something a bit lighter lol

well i think yo need to get some pics in the 1998> section :)

cyfa2809":1dm13pdm said:
ape":1dm13pdm said:
cyfa2809":1dm13pdm said:
are you selling your balfa? is it a bb7? are they retro now?

Lol no god no I'm not selling it, I'm a little bit attached to it lol, not sure if they're considered retro probably not, mine is a 2005 model but thats when they ended production you can get older though, the forks are old school shivers though, and the wheelset are is oldschool too, biguns laced sun doublewides although I've considered getting rid of them to get something a bit lighter lol

well i think yo need to get some pics in the 1998> section :)

Watch this space, well the 98 section space anyway lol

Back