Marzocchi "The Boss" C50 rear shock help

mungouk

Retro Newbie
Hiya
I have a 98 sintesi Bazooka with a Marzocchi C50 "The Boss" rear shock . It looks like over the years
the shock oil has all leaked out ( it was all over the linkage and frame ) and it has zero damping . It could have been
stored for years so I don't know how bad the seals are ....
I've had the coil off and it's still holding air pressure and the shaft looks to be the good condition .
I'd like to get some oil in it to see what happens .
I can't find any info online about how to get oil into it !!?? or what oil to use ??
Does anyone know ?
All I can see is a screw with a "do open open" label..............I didn't want to open that without knowing what it was and maybe letting all the air out.
Any C50 experts?
Cheers
Chris

Know nothing, but show us some pics of the bike, I’m looking for one (green with blue swingarm). They’re quite rare and hard to find.

Here she is .She a bit rough round the edges . I've just been cobbling it together so I can have a go on it before it gets stripped for a resto .
PXL_20230602_194206697.jpg PXL_20230602_193735533.jpg
and the Boss
PXL_20230608_195122914.jpg

Not sure there's going to be any air in that shock, coil oil by the looks of it.

Damper adjuster looks very similar to the ones used on the rockshox deluxe range from bitd.

I know nothing about this shock, but I'd wager it has commonality between shocks of the day so a service centre probably has the capabilities and parts to service.

It's deffo got an air chamber . Takes 10bar from what I can find,but uses a weird sleeve thing to pump it up so you can do the screw up under pressure .

PXL_20230611_204417049.jpg
In for a penny......
There is zero info about this shock online so I've got stuck in. There's another ally piston still in the bottom of the barrel that separates the air chamber from the oil chamber. I removed the "Do not remove" screw...no one died. I need to get 145psi back in there some how and put the M4 screw back in .
I think I'm going to fill the oil and see how bad it leaks .
To be continued.....

If it's like a noleen shock, the do not remove screw holds in nitrogen, not air. I have seen mods where an air valve is added so you can pressurise the fork with sir instead.

Great you've got stuck in, sometimes the only way and very satisfying once you've finished it all off and it's good as new again.

Back