Proposal for Summer Epic - Strathpeffer and Contin Area

velomaniac":2iz1nmso said:
Epicyclo, I know whether your here or away is probably very fluid at the moment but knowing when you are here might sway the choice of date.

I'll know soon. I'm supposed to be going to Oz, but I may put it off. I rather fancy doing the World 24 hour solos this year, and if I decide to do them, I'll need to get serious for a wee while. (Serious means staying in Scotland and doing lots of riding, not training as such :) )

In reference to the idea of bivvying and the summer epic heres my idea.
Brora to the Crask Inn and back.
Brora is a wee town on the coast with a train station in Caithness and Sutherland north of Golspie.
The Crask in is a wee pub that does food and accomodation (we'll bivvy nearby) in the utter back end of no where west of Loch Coire.
We set off from Brora on minor road, landrover tack and trail ultimately aiming for Loch Coire then head westish to Crask Inn on the A836. Feed and drink in pub then go find a spot to bivvy. Following day retrace our steps changing route where practical back to Brora.
Look it up on OS map and arial photo. Looks suitably backwoods but without the trees.

My goodness, this seems to be stretching up to my old hunting ground!

To be honest, if you want a real highland adventure I would suggest heading further west, if something epic is what you have in mind.

velomaniac":pv4qk26e said:
In reference to the idea of bivvying and the summer epic heres my idea.
Brora to the Crask Inn and back.
Brora is a wee town on the coast with a train station in Caithness and Sutherland north of Golspie.
The Crask in is a wee pub that does food and accomodation (we'll bivvy nearby) in the utter back end of no where west of Loch Coire.
We set off from Brora on minor road, landrover tack and trail ultimately aiming for Loch Coire then head westish to Crask Inn on the A836. Feed and drink in pub then go find a spot to bivvy. Following day retrace our steps changing route where practical back to Brora.
Look it up on OS map and arial photo. Looks suitably backwoods but without the trees.

This sounds quite good. ;)

Sounds good to me as well.
Highlandsflyer is right though, the west is 'epicer' ;) (dont really know whats more epic than epic)

Jamie

Thus jamie, I have a job for you. Devise the epic up there for us. Pointless me doing it as I can only rely on maps and internet searches as Midlothian is the extreme opposite end of the country.
Get in cahoots with Epicyclo and Highlandflyer to come up with something.
MacRetro is Scotland wide, not all ideas and input should come from central belt.

You chaps should club in and rent a cottage for the weekend. Saves a lot of hassle on keeping the bike/possessions safe and the beds are considerably better.

You can all bring your Lycra gimp suits and get down to it :p

Back