80s Mino Denti Master

Thanks. :)

Heres a mini update -

DA 7400 BB fitted and spinning butter smooth. 🤟

RahupaY.jpg

Cranks cleaned up and NOS large DA chainring fitted to the 7410 cranks to replace the knackered TA one the cranks came with. The bolts were shot as well (and inner chainring fitted backwards!!) so I've replaced them. The inner ring has some wear but is staying for now.

h9pXPu4.jpg

I have the choice of two panto stems for this, see below.

iCYuqYn.jpg

k0ujifv.jpg

The shorter (and older version of the Record 84) has a square D panto on the nose but nice though it would be to have this detail I prefer the 120mm. Both stems have been cleaned up, bolts wire brushed and everything greased and polished.

I've also just cleaned and fitted the rear brake after acquiring a pair of suitable DA 7403 brake shoes for it - the pair of 7403 calipers I have came with more modern Shimano fittings. If anyone out there has another pair of these let me know.

More soon!

Last edited:
I barely ever post here, and really just read the technical bits, but i had to log in just to give kudos.

Stunning frame, and a perfect example of a sympathetic paint job. Looks amazing.

I barely ever post here, and really just read the technical bits, but i had to log in just to give kudos.

Stunning frame, and a perfect example of a sympathetic paint job. Looks amazing.
Thanks! Appreciate the compliment. Its a nice challenge to find the right approach for this kind of restoration, getting it looking as good as possible whilst preserving what is already there.

Here are some little updates;

7410 Crankset fitted;

MSVJOks.jpg

I believe the 7410 cranks came with their own bolts rather than standard bolts with a two pin dustcap like these - anyone able to confirm? Am pondering hunting down the correct bolts if so, although this isn't a perfect period build and I quite like the look.. hmm.

7403 calipers in place - I'm still after 2x brake shoes for the front! These are beautiful brakes if a little heavy by today's standards.

swnzSWw.jpg

Some NOS 7401 downtube shifters.

J1HMNVG.jpg

and fitted;

QmI5XHE.jpg

I have a pair of 7401 brake levers that are rather scratched and I'm in the middle of restoring and polishing. With that in mind, these will be the only part on the bike with the DA grey/blue anodizing. They are lovely but I am tempted to get hold of another set in worse condition, strip the anodizing and polish them to match the alu and chrome better. Any thoughts?

agf0p9K.jpg

Finally I have this mint 80s OMAS lightweight bottle cage to add a touch of the exotic; I have a couple of other possibilities for cages so will see what they all look like when the build is otherwise complete.

Last edited:
A few more evenings spent tinkering this week. My beautiful Dura Ace aero seatpost is too short for my long legs with this frame, so I bought a Nitto S65 as a suitably classic looking replacement.

Sv0sEtK.jpg

It came packed in what looks like the Japanese equivalent of the Financial Times!

The quality of Nitto's metal components is absolutely superb. Well worth the money in my opinion.

12Hygdl.jpg

The DA rear mech I have has a few scuffs and marks so I dissembled and cleaned it and started work polishing out the worst scrapes.

977Jb38.jpg

I am going to build up my DA 7400 hubs with Ambrosio Excellence rims; I bought a modern set which look like this;

bDBY8q0.jpg

The graphics are too flashy and modern for this build so I sourced an excellent set of repro vintage decals from Ebay.

plNVZmZ.jpg

After painstakingly scraping off the old decals, cleaning the rims and then affixing the new, they look the part!

DY5XEgj.jpg

Very happy with these and now ready for some wheelbuilding next week. :D

Last edited:
A few more evenings spent tinkering this week. My beautiful Dura Ace aero seatpost is too short for my long legs with this frame, so I bought a Nitto S65 as a suitably classic looking replacement.

Sv0sEtK.jpg

It came packed in what looks like the Japanese equivalent of the Financial Times!

The quality of Nitto's metal components is absolutely superb. Well worth the money in my opinion.

12Hygdl.jpg

The DA rear mech I have has a few scuffs and marks so I dissembled and cleaned it and started work polishing out the worst scrapes.

977Jb38.jpg

I am going to build up my DA 7400 hubs with Ambrosio Excellence rims; I bought a modern set which look like this;

bDBY8q0.jpg

The graphics are too flashy and modern for this build so I sourced an excellent set of repro vintage decals from Ebay.

plNVZmZ.jpg

After painstakingly scraping off the old decals, cleaning the rims and then affixing the new, they look the part!

DY5XEgj.jpg

Very happy with these and now ready for some wheelbuilding next week. :D
Brilliant transformation on the rims..👍

Okay, time for a bit more. Slowly slowly as ever but a good spread of updates! 😌

DA 7401 levers about to get their (scuffed) anodizing stripped. I'll post some pictures when I've polished them of how they are now, but I was super impressed at how easily a caustic soda solution took them back to bare metal in no time. Gloves, goggles and a good respirator a must though!

wWiu40K.jpg

Next up for treatment were these NOS hoods I picked up. Perfect condition, if a little greyer from age.

VlfHQTb.jpg

A few squirts from this stuff and a wipe down and they are ready to go onto the levers.

2DSk5iA.jpg

I was missing the top caps from both stems so I drew up and 3D printed a replacement - this will be sprayed black before fitting.

xHixRMi.jpg

Working from Roger Musson's excellent book, I built his truing stand and accessories ready for my wheel building. This is one of the parts of the build where I really feel I'm working to level myself up and properly learn something new! We have a new CNC machine at work so I drew up the parts and put it to work chopping them out of some thick ply.

nHwBFHG.jpg

I made my own nipple driver from a thick nail and an old file handle. Very satisfying to build your own tools.

vvQylox.jpg

oF9Kmgo.jpg

Finally here's the stand with my first few spokes in place, and my very cluttered bench... Creeping ever closer to having a ridable bike by Christmas. 😁

Fy2UFRZ.jpg

Last edited:
Anodising stripped from the levers and the blades polished up. As mentioned in Wanted I am after a clamp band for these as one of them is damaged.

I will give the engraving a paint fill before fitting too.

IMG_20220315_180015.jpg

Back