project ton

trickylad":37x3a32x said:
excuse my idiocy - what's an ahead headset?

don't want to mess up the geometry

can you post a pic of your karakoram? would love to see it

can't wait to share the pics of the RTS from the shed now... :LOL:

Here's my 1994 Karakoram (yes, it has a chain fitted now!). I've got a 1996 RTS-2 too, lovely bikes arent they ;)

Basically, a standard headset is threaded and winds onto the fork steerer tube. Ahead has no threads, and the stem bolts onto the fork steerer. Ahead is more common now, but on here you'll be able to source both easily.

karakoram_760.jpg

dscn2221_113.jpg

mikee said:
get in there raddik :LOL:

yeah mag 21's or even some older pace forks
you should get a servicable pair for 50/60 quid

i prefer to leave the origonal paint in some of my builds ,thats what i'd with that ,were it mine

think your stuck with the U brake on the back but a V on the front would be a life saving upgrade perhaps ,it the rest of it works leave it alone and
enjoy the old/nice bike feel

Thanks mikee. As a bit of a newbie how might i go about finding a set of mag 21s I wouldn't have a clue what i was buying or how to fix them up.

Gents - they are sweet rides. never imagined others would love their karakoram's as much; well to be honest even more.

love the clean-ness of the frames - wish i hadn't gone a little OTT with the stickers..

understand now what ahead set is, in terms of the fix to the stem, but..

could i fit ahead set to the existing threaded forks?

is it a difficult thing to do without going to LBS?

riding home tonight i've noticed a weird sound coming from either the stem, the bars or the headset. quite odd and it's definitely becoming more pronounced. not a grinding. not a clicking, sort of a torsion twisting noise.

I think some updates are going to be needed

Can't decide whether to take on the RTS rebuild - heavy bike - also kept bottoming out at the rear which made it v difficult to ride.

Could i import some of the parts across to the karakoram? could save me some $$$$

Time to share the RST

rts

Attachments

• IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,721
  • IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,721
  • IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 1,721
I Shouldnt think it'd be too hard to source a replacement stay, or complete rear triangle even, on here

cce":3s77xmmr said:
I Shouldnt think it'd be too hard to source a replacement stay, or complete rear triangle even, on here

Indeed.

Browse the FS section or try a wanted advert.

thanks for the help

have any thoughts on my other questions?

do i need to know what model RST i have before i find a replacement stay?

would really appreciate understanding how you approached your RST refurb.

there were two types of rear triangle, early steel ones and later alu ones

yours appears to be an alu one

update

Thanks all for the suggestions

Am now on the lookout for a pair of mag 21s.

I've dumped the front cantilevers and the stiffner - replaced with some deore v brakes

The onza bar ends have gone and replaced with some no-name aluminium stubbies

The selle royale cast off saddle gone and replaced with a rather sweet flite saddle that i found in the dump bin in halfords (reduced price from £100 to £25 at the till!)

going to change the headset to ahead when i can work out how and I think a new stem is in order. The zoom one has seen better days.

Back