Gary Fisher Wahoo Project (help!)

thom04

Dirt Disciple
I've been on the lookout for a project bike for a while & managed to pick up this thing on eBay:

1000021968.jpg

I did a bit of research & It's an 18" Gary Fisher Wahoo in titanium (paint, not metal) 1996 model

- Acera X rear derailleur
- Gripshift shifters
- Altura cranks
- some rubbishy v-brakes

I rode it home & it was surprisingly nice, although the gears slipped a bit on the inclines.

The to-do list so far:
- New shifters (not a fan of Gripshift)
- New seat
- Find better pedals, the plastic ones it has are like standing on ice.
- There's a bit of rust spotting on the frame
- New brakes
- strip off all the "stuff" attached to it 😂

Nice, I had that on my watch list, bit of a bargain that.

Slipping is probably a worn cassette/chain or chain ring, I've experience both across the bikes I've had over the years.

Nice, I had that on my watch list, bit of a bargain that.

Slipping is probably a worn cassette/chain or chain ring, I've experience both across the bikes I've had over the years.
Was a bit of a shock to see I'd won the auction! No idea what it's worth, but once I got all the bits & bobs off the frame it looks pretty decent

Found some Deore XT flat pedals & an Avocet saddle in my parts box so will get some new photos up oce they're fitted & it's had a bit of a clean.

Still undecided on what to do with the gearing - am likely going to keep it as-is & just stick some modern shifters on it for now

Anyone got any good techniques on removing rust spots from paintwork on a frame? There's loads of little bits but nothing particularly bad:

1000022065.jpg

There was also a bit of corrosion on the seat post which ended up needing a little sanding to completely remove
1000022155.jpg

And a light coating of rust down the seat tube, which required some improvisation:
1000022145.jpg
1000022144.jpg
The Brillo pad on a stick actually worked surprisingly well - everything has now had a light coat of 3in1 while I wait for some grease to arrive.

Back