Project Scruffy Bike - '97 Scott Endorphin

CAPIN":22icy2r1 said:
Cool frame! I have always wanted it.
Arent you affraid about the stress that rear magura brake puts on the frame?

Surely you dont brake any harder with a maggy than with a V?

I know they can be more powerful, but as long as youre not pumping the lever to the max all the time, all will be ok.

Anthony":35k3pf26 said:
Incidentally I'm not quite clear why you're having trouble finding a front mech to fit - this seems to have a normal 34.9 conventional-swing top-pull XTR fm.

Its an old school XTR, the new ones, won't fit. I tried new mechs and an old M750, but nothing would fit. I'll be looking for an M752 mech soon.

Cheers for the scan, I didn't realise just how much they cost BITD, no wonder I couldn't afford one.

Maggies work fine, I can't see any more stress with Maggies than V's, if you don't abuse them.

I got this frame from singletrack about new year with intention of building as road winter trainer. But by the time i got round to building it it was spring and thought i could singlespeed it with bits from the shed, which is after all the point of singlespeeds! So heres my beauty! 22lb
was thinking of convertering to a single ring at the front and 9 at the back for the winter. Or maybe i should just polish her and put her in a glass case!!!

Attachments

• singlespeed 005.jpg
    singlespeed 005.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 5,815
  • singlespeed 004.jpg
    singlespeed 004.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 5,815
  • singlespeed 003.jpg
    singlespeed 003.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 5,815
  • singlespeed 002.jpg
    singlespeed 002.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 5,814
mhughesgti":jjfjs315 said:
Or maybe i should just polish her and put her in a glass case!!!

I've never seen the appeal of garage queen bikes, I prefer to ride them than look at them.

How do you find the ride? I think its the best bike I've owned by far, and is a positive encouragement to go out and ride.

uktyler":2in3tkud said:
Anthony":2in3tkud said:
Incidentally I'm not quite clear why you're having trouble finding a front mech to fit - this seems to have a normal 34.9 conventional-swing top-pull XTR fm.

Its an old school XTR, the new ones, won't fit. I tried new mechs and an old M750, but nothing would fit. I'll be looking for an M752 mech soon.
If You're thinking about old XTR You should look only for M901, not for M950!
M950 does not match with this frame - look to catalogues (96, 1st year of Endorphin series - bike was equipped by M910 fd, 97 - full XTR M950 with XT fd M738!, 98 - full XT set, 99 - XTR M951 with XT fd M738!)

skolioza":6iglfk54 said:
If You're thinking about old XTR You should look only for M901, not for M950!
M950 does not match with this frame - look to catalogues (96, 1st year of Endorphin series - bike was equipped by M910 fd, 97 - full XTR M950 with XT fd M738!, 98 - full XT set, 99 - XTR M951 with XT fd M738!)

Period correct bits never bothered me, I just want something that fits. I was told a 952 fits, so I was looking for one of those, but I guess a M738 will be easier to find, thanks for the info.

its very smooth to ride, you cant feel the rear flexing but that maybe the flex! Climbs extremly well. ive had two now, first one had pace sus forks but was too big for me adn so got the smaller one. Good descision.
Front mech i have for it is a top swing only. You cannot use the dual pull type as the large attachment on the side hits the frame. Ive got an old xt one that fits, not sure of the number of it tho. Its at least two models old.

mhughesgti":oy4m2obh said:
its very smooth to ride, you cant feel the rear flexing but that maybe the flex! Climbs extremly well.

The flex must be doing something, I think I've got the worlds most uncomfortable saddle on mine, its got about as much give as a breeze block, but I can happily ride for a couple of hours on it.

mhughesgti":oy4m2obh said:
Front mech i have for it is a top swing only. You cannot use the dual pull type as the large attachment on the side hits the frame.

I tried a bunch of modern mechs, but they all seem to be low or mid band. The only modern one I could find that was high band was a dual pull, and like you say there is no room to fit those. I'll be back in the UK soon, so I can have a better look.

I had red maguras on mine and they will bend your stays out if you brake too hard :shock: or they will crush your rim :shock: this happened to me on the road at over 40 miles an hour when I slammed the brake on to hard but it did stop me o.k. ;)

Back