Project 'rat' Mount Vision - my first ever Marin!!

Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":1vf6jhtw said:
have to say, I do prefer the look of a coil spring because I can pretend it's a motor bike, don't ask.....

Woman after my own heart - braaappppp!!! :cool:

Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":xwyg8yb4 said:
Now, I've convinced myself the shock is knackered, and have measured it as 160mm eye to eye, does that sound about right? And about 40mm of 'travel'....? Can someone confirm what I'm looking for if I go on eBay.....have to say, I do prefer the look of a coil spring because I can pretend it's a motor bike, don't ask......

This thread might be helpful, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=363350 There's various links in thread with additional info.
Because your frame is a Mount Vision it should be a 165x38 shock according to those who know in the thread. I'd gone on our 3 bikes/1 frame with differing lengths shocks which gave me the wrong idea about which length shocks fitted which frames.
I'll 2nd what's been said, get an airshock if you can. I replaced the old coil shocks on the 3 bikes I built for my wife and girls. They function much better and are way lighter.

Re:

Brilliant, thank you. I'll have a proper read through later, need to go and do a bit of paid work first... :facepalm:

An air shox, is what these need.
Also that old shox will be shot, usually are.
It looks like the springs been wound far too tight, they are not deigned for it (if anything like a fox Vanilla) and should only be a few full winds for adjustment, many over turn them to compensate for their fat weight, rather than just get the correct spring.
This stresses the piston rod iirc and also ramps up progression/reduces travel.

Air Shox allow you to tune much easier, than buying the correct spring. 

Yes I still have one of these frames hung up somewhere.

Re:

Hmm, interesting, and I like the idea of reducing the weight a bit....

Can anyone give me a rough idea what I should be expecting to pay for a decent air shock? Presumably this is a fairly obsolete size now, which could make it nice and cheap, or alternatively horribly expensive due to rarity.... :facepalm:

Re:

Thanks Mark, don't know what to do! Would really rather have a decent 2nd hand Fox or whatever. Have you tried that make, do you rate them....?

Another dumb question, but will I need any extra sleeves or fittings to make another shock fit this frame? Or are they all some sort of standard fit when it comes to the fittings....?

The shocks are pretty good.

I do have a nice rock shox air for one of these that I was hanging on to. It would be very cheap if you want it - it needs a service!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Yes, that should fit, though I think it looks like it doesn't have bushes fitted in ends of shock. Even if it has it's always a good idea to fit new ones before using shock. They are relatively cheap on eBay, I bought some with fitting tool for a tenner roughly. Here, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shock-Bushing ... 2388366387? or if you want polymer bushings, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shock-Bushing ... 2388366387
I used to faff about with sockets washers and a not and bolt to remove/fit bushes, using the tool is waaay better.

There's Fox shocks on a few of our bikes, Marins like your one and my Cannondale Super V, easy to change seals on them I find.
Rebuild kits for Fox shocks are readily available unlike the older Rockshok SIDs which I have a few that just need new seals but there's none around the last time I looked.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back