Project 'Pinarello'

so a little progress update, finally an overdue picture of the Campag Record bottle cage (the first one anyway!)

More importantly my Avocet arrived, I was shocked when I unpacked it to see it in the original box! Albeit taped up where it had been posted previously, for 26p lol

It was absolutely complete including the instructions and some ancient spare batteries! here's a pic of what was in the box

The next thing was to clean it all up and put a new battery in it, remember I bought it untested so there was no guarantee it would work.. however as soon as I stuck the battery in I had a display :) Happy days, the next thing was to fit the magnet ring to the hub and put the pick up on the fork to see if I could pick up a reading, and guess what, it did!

So I went about calibrating it and started fitting it to the bike, I have to say being a wired computer I wasn't expecting it to look pretty in terms of the wiring up the fork, head tube and stem, but in fact with a bit of thought and some red ties I'm massively happy with how it turned out, arguably more pretty than a modern wireless as you don't have a nasty black sensor stuck half way up the fork nor do you have a magnet stuck on one of the spokes. Here's the fork finished;

And then hiding behind the caliper before winding up round the brake outer;

This one shows the wiring finished off, you'll note that if I followed the cable along the brake oute further it would be even tidier, however I like to have my light on the right hand side so had to compromise!

And the computer itself fitted :cool:

Absolutely love how it looks on the bike, perfect for my build and poss my favourite upgrade so far. I put the bike straight on the rollers and the speed reading seems very good to me, the only downside which I think is something I've done after removing and refitting the battery a number of times in quick succession, as it seemed fine initially, is that when idle and left on the speedo screen it'll just cycle through various speeds all by itself, which also then adds miles on the total mileage screen. I'm thinking this won't do the battery much good so will just put it on the stopclock setting when I get off.

Hopefully it may just right itself, but if not i'm not too worried as the stopwatch function and speed when on the move are the important bits I want, not too worried about total mileage or the speedo reading when i'm not on the bike! But would be interesting to hear if anyone else has came across this and if there's a fix.

Lastly I picked up a couple of retro jerseys specifically to match the bike, one being plain red with the world championship colours on the collar and sleeves, and also this little beauty, not exactly shy but love it!

What size are you I may have a nice Pinarello one that turned out a bit small for me.

Montello, I generally go for a medium/small large, but usually go on the height from the top of the collar to the hem and width across the armpits as jerseys seem to vary so much!

Some decent progress with the bike today, firstly on the Avocet, it all went a bit down hill last week, as it killed two batteries in two days, and was coming up with all sorts of figures whilst it was idle, but worked OK when moving, I had been using LR44's as these were the only batteries I could get on the night I got it and was obviously keen to test it! Plus I'd read that these work fine, but I wanted to try a Silver Oxide SR44 as these are meant to be the correct battery. After fitting it today the early signs are good as it's stopped adding distance and the speed isn't going all over the place at idle now, so fingers crossed!!

I've also picked up a few trinkets if you like, it's a case of going through the little details now and adding some finishing touches, so today I bought a Campagnolo seat pin bolt, Gloss black Cinelli bar end plugs and my favourite of all, a period 1980's NOS Royce 53 tooth chainring, this is cool firstly because it's Royce, and secondly because I currently have a 52 tooth big ring but I miss the top end of my old Fuji which had a 53, so this should be perfect.

I have also been looking at Royce cranks as they look stunning and are meant to be very stiff, whereas I think the SR cranks are a little flexy, however Royce don't offer a crank that can run two chainrings and they ain't exactly cheap!! But maybe a drop them a mail and see what they can do at some point..

Only downer has been that i missed a second Campag Record bottle holder, which I'd been watching for a week before totally forgetting about it whilst at a friends, of course typically it went for a steal.. nevermind!

Finally I signed up for the Wiggle Spring Saddle Sportive 100 in Newmarket next month, anyone else doing this?

328isport":xniz7ns4 said:
modern Campag stuff has quick release from the levers not the calipers, apart from the singlespeed levers of course, so fitting Campag calipers would leave me with no quick release at all, which will then make it a mare to get the wheels out.

Your levers have quick release so you would be fine with Campag calipers if you feel the need to go completely Campag. I have some older style Record calipers with dual-pivot on front and back which work well. The only thing I've found is the blocks seem quite hard but that might be their age. Also, if I'm honest, the lack of quick release on the calipers means the blocks catch slightly on the tyre when you take the wheel out even with the QR undone on the levers.

BTW the front brake mounting looks a bit strange - what's the story there?

Nice looking bike whatever it is.
Mark.

Hi Mark, thanks for your comments. How do I 'activate' quick release on these levers? I assumed being singlespeed ones that they didn't have this feature or something as couldn't see any simple way of releasing them, unless the silver lever stops push in or something?

Do you mean the black bit coming out the back of the mounting bolt? This is for a mudguard, which clips on there then velcro's round the forks, hardly ever use it though, spoils the bike lol

328isport":2pqfrkfw said:
Hi Mark, thanks for your comments. How do I 'activate' quick release on these levers? I assumed being singlespeed ones that they didn't have this feature or something as couldn't see any simple way of releasing them, unless the silver lever stops push in or something?

Do you mean the black bit coming out the back of the mounting bolt? This is for a mudguard, which clips on there then velcro's round the forks, hardly ever use it though, spoils the bike lol

Yep, the silver button pushes though the lever allowing it to go back further into the body. Hard to explain but I'm sure you can work it out.

Thanks for the explanation about the mudguard fitting - I agree definitely not a bike for mudguards.

Mark.

Back