Project 'Pinarello'

Yea I know what you mean, but at the same point the frame is very good to ride and it's possible it maybe pretty rare in it's own right if I could find out what it is! From what I understand in the early/mid 80's Campag SR and Simplex retrofriction shifters was quite the set up to have, and unlikely it would have been put on a poor frame, my feeling is it's probably a custom frame, as it has 'A.Hayes' stamped in the BB (as well as some numbers), so guessing this is who it could have been built for, but I haven't been able to find any info for a cyclist of this name. I've been told by a few people that it could well have been built as a TT frame due to the steep angles, but not sure on this.

I guess one day I might have the frame refinished and painted a different colour, its possible this might help unearth what it really is, but either way the frame is a keeper :)

oonaf, the cables are Ashima Reaction +, the kit was actually listed as black in colour which is what I wanted, so was a little annoyed when they came through in a carbon-esque look, however once on the bike I really liked them.

Finney thanks for the info on those specialized tyres, I'll have a little look

Undoubtedly a nice frame and project but why not leave the branding blank?

Pinarello decals should only really go on a genuine frame.

I probably would of, however someone went to a decent amount of effort at the time the frame was done as the stickers were put on before the frame was lacquered! So unfortunately I can't just remove them, not without having the whole frame redone anyway.

no no, I've only restored the paint and done the odd touch in as far as the frame goes, I'd wager the current paint scheme was done a long time ago, perhaps 15-20 years.

To be honest, who really cares if it is or isnt a Pinaello? Looks good as it is my only concern would be the cable pull ratio on campag levers and shimano brakes never seem to be as good as if you had just used shimano levers and I Think silver matching levers would look nicer.

Cheers crash, I can confirm the brakes work very well! easy one/two finger operation with minimal lever movement and serious stopping power. Regarding the levers there's not a lot of nice singlespeed levers out there, I could of gone for Shimano ones, but ultimately I wanted Campag gear on this bike, it would have Campag calipers on it for sure (from the same Record family as the levers) had it not been for two things, the first being a single pivot rear caliper, I'd much rather have a well set up dual, and also quick release, modern Campag stuff has quick release from the levers not the calipers, apart from the singlespeed levers of course, so fitting Campag calipers would leave me with no quick release at all, which will then make it a mare to get the wheels out.

I know mixing Shimano and Campag offends some lol, but the current set up is mega in terms of performance so that's the main thing.

I do intend to get hold of a couple of the Campag bottle cages from the same Record set as the levers, in an attempt to try to blend the old and new Record components better, but at close to £100 new per cage it might take me a little while to get hold of them for sensible money!

Yea I think so, but I want anything Campag I do put on it to be Record where possible, as of the Campag components currently on the bike the only things that aren't Record are the Veloce hubs, but I can live with that lol

Had a result this week as finally got hold of a Campagnolo Record bottle cage! Still silly money for a bottle cage but hey! I'll get a pic up later, need to get one in the sunshine as well as the colour really comes into it's own in bright light.

As always I'd love to hear from any experts who think they could identify the bike, though I know it's a long shot!

Otherwise I'm pleased to report it's going well in all weathers, and getting a fair bit of abuse on the rollers! There's no doubt it's on the aggressive side in terms of position and comfort but that's what I was going for and the style I like, if I try to build in any more comfort it'll only have a negative effect on the looks which isn't going to happen!

Hoping to get as many events in as possible on it this year

Latest posts

Back