Project Kona ....

I really like everything you have done so far!

I think you learned wrong lesson; it is not about buying complete bike but investigating about the components/frames you already have and they inter-compatibility.
And also now you know more about BBs so you gained more of a general knowledge about bikes :)

Always look on the bright side of life…

Dare":2ovc1ho2 said:
I really like everything you have done so far!

I think you learned wrong lesson; it is not about buying complete bike but investigating about the components/frames you already have and they inter-compatibility.
And also now you know more about BBs so you gained more of a general knowledge about bikes :)

Always look on the bright side of life…

Thats one way of looking at it :LOL:

ive tinkered with cars all my adult life ... they're much more straight forward :D

Re:

It enjoy the fun of getting things to work and learning about what I have, it keeps it interesting.

I was meaning the bottom bracket from the donar bike, white rust coloured thing.
That should have the correct length in assuming it was all original.

It'll be 113 for the Impel cranks.

Normally you aim for the middle ring (as its a triple ring crank) to sit at 47.5 to 50mm from the centreline of the bike (middle of the dowmtube, bottom bracket shell etc.

Always aiming for the lower chainlone if possible, but being square taper it's never perfect.

Bolt that crank down as though it was fitted, then measure from the middle of the bottom bracket shell ( or outer edge as it's easier, but adjust half of its width 68/2 to the chainline)
Since you have no ring measure to its flat face mountpoint to get an idea. On that crank you can see a slight ledge and if you measure to that it'll be about right.
Take that measurement and then you need to remove that much from the drive side. You could assume it was easy but shimano bottom brackets come in steps of diveside length changes, so normally 107/110 113/115. 118/122 etc will give the same chainline

So assuming the 113 gives a 47.5mm (call it 4:cool: chainline, you might find on the 127 it is sat at ~55mm.
(21 or 89mm from the edge of the bottom bracket frame shell,)
It inact as the lenght of bottom brackets can be .5 and are rounded due to tradition and weather you measure to the centre of the teeth or the inside of the ring at the teeth (some companies did)

Easy explanation
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

Re:

Ok, I think I understand :LOL:

Excuse my crude open university style
Diagram !

Assuming A is the bikes centre line
Assuming B is the mounting face of the middle chain ring

The ideal distance is between 47.5 and 50 mm ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 687
Re:

yep, B is the centre of the chainring teeth, and where you have it is where I would guess the middle will be abouts without the teeth.

113mm though, been mentioned a few times and since they came on kona's later on it has been documented in posts.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2ezgubbl said:
yep, B is the centre of the chainring teeth, and where you have it is where I would guess the middle will be abouts without the teeth.

113mm though, been mentioned a few times and since they came on kona's later on it has been documented in posts.

There should be a kudos button on this forum ....

Its actually all quite easy ... once you know the theory.

Thanks very much for the info FC :D :cool:

kalex":2w421w3x said:
I think a few have learnt something here as I have

Me too. hopefully it will be of use to someone using the search function sometime :D

in other news ...

Few new essentials arrive...

BB cable guide ..

NOS, bottom pull front mech....

Titanium axle skewers, these are virtually weightless...

The green anodise will be going

And the just to confirm, :LOL: the correct size for a 1991 Cinder Cone is ......

enc":mkfcniv3 said:
kalex":mkfcniv3 said:
I think a few have learnt something here as I have

Me too. hopefully it will be of use to someone using the search function sometime :D

Me as well ;) , The chainline has always left me feeling a bit happrehensive in the past when it came down to choosing the right size BB and although i'd started to understand how it worked more recently the information on here has helped me understand it a great deal more thanks .

Those skewers look the Dogz and i quite like the green on the stem but if it doesn't suit the overall picture your after then fair enough mate ;) .

Back