Project Kona ....

Re:

Big Thanks to spanky 22b for the cable clamp which arrived today :cool:
perfect fit :D

Bottom bracket arrived today ... only ordered yesterday PM :shock:

My box of bits grows by the day :D

Re:

In an attempt to control spiraling cost (this is a budget build) i bought a doner kebab.. errr, donor bike a 97 Gary Fisher aquila which is donating its Sugino impel crank set, STX rear mech, shimano (?) V brakes and (return to cantis at a later date) SRT 400 grip shift, shifters :roll: for now ... i hate grip shift :evil:

The donor parts are cosmetically in a sorry stat but can be fettled untill i can find better spec/condition components at a decent price. (im already over my planned budget) lesson learned.... buy a complete bike not frame and forks :roll: :LOL:

First up the Sugino crank's as collected on the donor bike :oops: ...

Removed and looking a bit better after a paraffin bath ...

On closer inspection rust worms ...

and more rust ...

and more ru... you get the picture ...

wire wheel on a drill makes short work of the rust ...

Thats better ...

in an ideal world the rings would be at least powder coated but the general condition of this crank is not worth spending the dosh on. Its a get me by until i can afford something better :p

for now, etch primer ...

Satin black ...

Passenger side arm polished with Autosol and various grades of wire wool, finished with poorboys alloy wheel sealant... drivers side waits its turn :)

New chain ring nuts and bolts are on order just need to polish the drive side and reassemble.

Re:

Good work :)

Bear in mind that un55 is too long for that crank, so you'll need to use the old on ethat came with it for now.

Srt400 are not good gripshift and can easily put you off as they can be hard to use compared to srt500/600 onwards, soapy water clean and lube lightly with vasaline

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":1s7suusv said:
Good work :)

Bear in mind that un55 is too long for that crank, so you'll need to use the old on ethat came with it for now.

e

There wasn't a bb supplied with the bike.
Based on info from here i read the original is 129ish. 129 now not available I ordered 127 thinking it would be close enough. After a trial fit it looks way too long ;-(

Yep, you'll probably need something around 113-118mm. Now you have the long version you can measure up and see how long it could be (gap to BB).

al-onestare":3bn87kri said:
Yep, you'll probably need something around 113-118mm. Now you have the long version you can measure up and see how long it could be (gap to BB).

Looking at my pics above its obvious it's too long. I reckon you're right with your estimate 113- 118mm... but what ... where do you start to guestimate ?
what should the gap be between gap between crank arm and BB shell face ?
....I know it's not an exact science :roll:

Lesson learned ... Next project buy a complete bike, not a box of bits :roll: :LOL:

Back