Prices early 90's

Re:

As we all know it always was and still is better to buy older high end used than entry level models.

Re:

Only new mtb I ever bought was a Muddy Fox Alu Lite either in 1995 or 1996.

£399 if memory serves.

It was all Altus with Fred Salmon finishing kit and, crucially, blue tyres.

I remember the headset was some weird Fred Salmon affair that kept failing and having to be replaced.

It was slightly too small for me with an aggressive-ish riding position but I thought it was ace.

Later resurrected as a commuter ride when I got a temp job only for one of the chain stays to crack mid journey.

Here’s one of the few pics (not my bike) I can find of one.

Attachments

• EF5373C0-E0FF-4F3F-8784-39605D1DE1AC.jpeg
    EF5373C0-E0FF-4F3F-8784-39605D1DE1AC.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 316
Re: Re:

M-Power":t7orfz3w said:
As we all know it always was and still is better to buy older high end used than entry level models.

The difficulty with this approach back in the early 90s was availability and knowledge. I lived in a small town of around 15K at the time and in those pre-web days, the only way you'd hear about stuff was corner shop notice boards, word of mouth and small ads in the local paper. The sport was also relatively new with fewer people doing it so older high end used bikes were a lot rarer anyhow. There were only a dozen or so mountain bikers in total in my town back then.

Re:

In '93 I had an Emmelle Classic 400LX. I quite liked it actually but lent it to my brother who destroyed it. Think it cost about £300.

Then in '95 I got a '94 Kona Cindercone reduced from £680 I think to £620 though my memory ain't that good. I added some £270 Rock Shox Quadra 21 in '96. They really killed the ride if the rigid bike.

Then in '99 I got my first Klein. And now I have too too many. But not as many as some!

Back