Poxy gears something is wrong

There's the problme. Chainline should be around 50mm for the middle ring, so a 113mm BB won't be far wrong.

Using an Alivio M442/3 chainset, my '95 Prestige-framed Kāstle Degree 8.0 shows a 51mm chainline
with a Shimano UN71 107mm bb. Different bike, different chainset etc but I reckon, if you measured accurately, a 110 or 113 would be fine for you. In any case, if you want to stick with your Alivio cranks you need a big reduction on that 122.. No filing please!

Re:

Don't worry I wont be filling anything! I just want it to be right and select the gears as it should. If I cant get an accurate measurement of the chain line I will but I'm confident its 55.

Re:

The Shimano specifications for that chainset are available here: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-0094A-001-ENG.pdf. Looking at those specs, I can see why you ended up with the 122mm bottom bracket spindle; indeed, that 122mm spindle length probably is needed for the version that has 48-38-28 teeth chainrings in order to prevent the larger size chainrings from hitting the chainstays. However, I hope you have the 42-32-22 version so the problem is solved with the shorter BB spindle.

Re:

I've found the receipts so this might make sense to some of you as to what the problem is.

Shimano Alivio M410 square taper triple chainset 175mm 22.32.42t
Shimano HG51 8 speed MTB cassette
MTB front derailleurs M412 top swing 7/8 front mech unisize -44-48t - dual pull
MTB rear derailleur M410 7/8 speed rear mech SGS long cage
SRAM PC830 7/8 speed chain
Shimano EZ fire 8 and 3 speed brake lever gear shifters

Re:

I've checked alternative Shimano TechDocs which confirms FC-M410 requires a 113mm bottom bracket as per CassidyAce's link.

SP

Re:

So finally the 113 BB is fitted and seems to be the cure. Just need to reset the gears as obviously its completely altered it. Then its up for sale and I'm buying a Marin off my friend. Might have to make it a work hack as I've just lost my job. Thanks for your assistance.

Back