Poxy gears something is wrong

legrandefromage":2xenhvsl said:
122 is waaaaaayy too long!

I think I agree with that. Might be why the front mech is struggling to move far enough onto the big chainring.

I take it the limit screw has been wound fully out?

Re:

What is the exact model of the crankset? On one of the new Alivio crank arms, it should say 'FC-M . . .' or 'MT . . .' or something like that, with a number. What is the complete model code? Unfortunately, all I can see in the photos is a crankset in a box and the word 'Alivio', just about.

Two pages of head-aches but all the advice is good.

Just because, and well, DO NOT FILE THE TAPERS! - that's the sort of thing you
do when you build a pub bike with a box of tatty bits, building on +35 years wrenching experience, and being
bored out of your mind on a rainy day in Norway.

Dude, just measure the chain-line of the front chainset (middle ring to center of seat-tube) and let us know; it should fall in the 50mm ball park.

Sadly, Shimano have progressively specified wider and wider chain-lines and also increased the Q-factor over the years. The low end stuff can be stupidly wide in an attempt to cater for all sorts of dross rear suspension frames and a myriad of seat-tube widths ranging from skinny to grossly fat. No surprise this can go to hell, but we are engineers here :p

The offset with cranks really buggers me up. I have 3 sets of Shimano splined cranks and they are all different

JoeH":24549feh said:
Also worth remember that going down by say 113 to 110 mm only moves your cranks set by 1.5mm (as differences is 3mm, / 2 as two sides = 1.5mm reduction per side). That may or may not be enough.

Call me a BB Nazi, but sorry, you are wrong. MM 110 is asymmetric. Only the DS would go more inboard by 3mm.

Now if you found a rare 110.5 that is symmetric, you would be correct in what you state. The next symmetric
size down is 107mmm which may give headaches with a 73mm wide shell.

Assumption though, is the mother of all screw ups. I assume you are talking Shimano BBs ;)

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-06-03 234145.png
    Annotation 2020-06-03 234145.png
    30 KB · Views: 748
Pictures would help no end!?

Its a fairly simple system, either the mech isnt extending far enough, but you have a new one so doubtfully that (asuming you have checked the limiter), or the chainset is too far out, needs a shorter bb.

And yes, the chain will be at a very strange angle when on the inner rear cog and outer front one.

Yup, 'tis indeedy. A 122mm bb and an Alivio chainset would be bandy enough for John Wayne.
I did say earlier to try a 107 or even a 103. I use those sizes on my Alivios, the famous Q factor still comes out a bit high for my liking, but chainline is fabulosa.

Re:

I will try and look later, the bike is currently buried in the shed behind a large amount of postcrete.

In answer to where the limit screw is, its so far out I might as well put it in my pocket and not bother with it.

Sorry for sounding insulting and like a fool, I love bikes but don't know all the terminology and the differences between components. Had I known you need to consider certain things when buying I would have asked first to avoid the problems later.

Il try and measure the length from seat post to middle ring later and let you know and hopefully you will be able to point me in the right direction.

If the limit screw is out, and it's a Mtb triple mech, and it's pulling all the cable it can, then the BB axle is too long and is putting the big ring out of reach for the mech.

Back