Possible 'Old Skool' Time Trial Feb 26th

Banashapan":7zi4bw1m said:
Nice ride! Out of interest what would typical gearing be for tt events when running fixed? or does it come down to personal pref, and whether you like pushing or spinning?

Sorry mate, must have missed this! Gearing on fixed really depends on you own personal preferences and pedalling abilities. BITD, early season events were ridden on gears between 75" and 80" (except of course for 'medium' gear 72" events). Later in the season riders would up their gears to 82" or even 84" with a few (allegedly) mad people using 86". Nowadays 110" is quite common!

It would break my legs.

Grumpycommuter, sorry to hear your problem. Hope it gets better soon.

Entries need to be posted by end of this week to be sure of getting there on time. Who is up for it!!??

Besides Mark and me that is

I see there's eight Old Skoolers registered for the event and some tough competition for the top prize of £10. Oh well, it's the taking part that counts!

Mark.

daccordimark":20lalpcc said:
some tough competition for the top prize of £10 - Mark.

I hope you're not including me in that :?

There may be more on the day if people haven't stated 'Old Skool' on their entry form.

I'm checking bikes for 'Old Skool-ness' - so make sure it complies :twisted: ;)

Now then, as you've mentioned it what are the rules?

The only fly in the ointment I can see on my MKM is the Campag/Look clipless pedals. I assume Dia-Compe aero brake levers are OK, they are after all genuine retro TT kit.

If the pedals are a show stopper I'll have to ride in my SPD commuting shoes as they're the only ones I have that might remotely be OK with clips and straps. In fact thinking about it I'll plan to do that anyway to really enter into the spirit of the thing and avoid any problem with other Old Skool entrants.

Mark.

daccordimark":260ki32r said:
The only fly in the ointment I can see on my MKM is the Campag/Look clipless pedals. I assume Dia-Compe aero brake levers are OK, they are after all genuine retro TT kit.

If the pedals are a show stopper I'll have to ride in my SPD commuting shoes as they're the only ones I have that might remotely be OK with clips and straps. In fact thinking about it I'll plan to do that anyway to really enter into the spirit of the thing and avoid any problem with other Old Skool entrants.

Mark.
given that hinault road looks in 85/86?? I would have thought a look delta system should be ok (I accept the campag "looks" you have are probalby from the 90's, but the system is an eighty's one. Still, I dont make the rules ... a brown envelope to Ned should work

daccordimark":3odl0cod said:
Now then, as you've mentioned it what are the rules?

Mark.

Clipless are OP as are 'aero' brake levers and even 'brifters'. I'll probably be using them myself depending on which bike I use. It's basically round 'normal' tubing on a 'road' type frame, no deep rims, no tri-bars, no pointy helmet, wheels with 20+ spokes. Basically, anything that can be described as an 'aero aid' is out. Mind you, when Planet X sponsored the original OS series, vintage lo-pro frames were allowed towards the end so long as they were 'traditional'.

It's a bl**dy minefield!

Large brown envelopes will be accepted :twisted: ;)

Back