Poss FS:1992 Cannondale Delta V 2000 Full Susser

I know this probably doesn't warrant any more discussion, but what the hell, I'll chuck my twopenneth in (previously onepenneth but I got it for a steal ;) ).

I don't really agree with people buying things on Retrobike and selling them on Retrobike for a profit as it is a free site and everyone on here are supposed to be one big happy family.
However, if someone wants to risk their own money buying something on Ebay that might turn out to be largely junk, for the opportunity to make a few quid who cares? I just can't see the problem. If the eventual RB buyer had seen it on Ebay and was prepared to pay the RB selling price then the person making a profit on RB wouldn't have won the auction on Ebay, (if that makes sense). Basically the vigilent Ebayer might have found a part that an RB member had missed and would be doing them a favour by bringing it to their attention - if this is the case why shouldn't they cover the time/risk/expense/packing involved by raising the price a little.

I just bought a frame including some extras on Ebay because an RB member couldn't afford the total price, but really wanted the frame. I figured that by buying it I could sell him the frame at a reasonable price (no profit) and then shift the parts at a modest profit in order to cover the time and effort involved in the buying/cleaning/packaging process. As it turned out the parts were not worth as much as I expected and I will just cover the total cost involved in the original Ebay purchase. What's important is that I did someone a favour and have liberated the parts from the frame so other members can have them. I could have been accused of profiteering, but in reality my time is worth far more than I thought I might make (in the end I made nowt).
:)

ebay

I must say, I see no problems with buying elsewhere, and trying to turn a profit.

Don't do it myself, but there are heaps of peeps on here that do.

its only what shops do... everything you buy (and before you say it yes i know what a loss leader and a footfall driver are) isn't worth what you pay for it.

hoegaardenadds1":1m59vt2p said:
its only what shops do... everything you buy (and before you say it yes i know what a loss leader and a footfall driver are) isn't worth what you pay for it.

The difference is shops need to sell for more money to make a profit and stay in business.

Buying a bike you don't want or need in the hope of making a quick buck takes that bike away from someone that may have been bidding on it to use it.Chucking it in the garage and try to sell it on for more money just artificially increases the prices for everyone.

uktyler":3k3626p7 said:
hoegaardenadds1":3k3626p7 said:
Buying a bike you don't want or need in the hope of making a quick buck takes that bike away from someone that may have been bidding on it to use it.Chucking it in the garage and try to sell it on for more money just artificially increases the prices for everyone.

I don't think it is "taking it away from someone that may have been bidding on it to use it" because if they really wanted it they would bid higher. Surely that's the point of Ebay; the seller gets to try and realise the best price? If someone can't afford it on Ebay, it is unlikely that they would be able to afford it if someone sells it in 6 months on Retrobike (for a profit or not).

you're paying for convienience with shops, as you are with this bike, as you can no longer buy this exact bike any where else.

what about those who didn't see it on ebay? if i really wanted this exact bike, and hadn't seen it on ebay, i would be willing to pay over and above what the seller had paid for it, as a handling charge.

this bike is worth exactly as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

well, after getting my hands on the bike and spending a bit of time stripping it and salvaging parts, I found that in reality there was a lot wrong with it, not described in the original ad!

Some parts have been junked (cranks/BB), other parts sold (wheels, which were nearly new but not befitting the frame) and other bits will be posted on here soon (levers/shifters, brakeset, front mech, poss rear mech, saddle....some of which are spares/repair)

tha main thing though is that the suspension (front & rear) seems ok and the linkages are all fine.....

I am now in the process of waiting for lots of new shiny bits to arrive in the post and in a week or two it will have:

LX V's
LX levers/shifters (9 spd)
XTR cassette
XT chain
SLX rear mech
LX front mech
Hope/XT hubs
FSA cranks/BB
Thomson post
SDG Bel Air Ti saddle
New bars/stem

Most of this is brand new and I guess I will have spent the best part of £500+ on it when completed...its not a full Retro restoration but it will mean that what I think is a lovely looking classic frame will get ridden/used in a practical sense - so I guess the investment is a good thing....although I doubt that I'll ever get my money back!!!! I'll just have to rise it!

I'l post pics of it elsewhere on the site when its finished

:D

Firstly i think its a great looking ride, particularly as they are getting rarer. Secondly dont regret it. You bought it because you liked it, your heart ran away with you, it happens to us all but if you like it, enjoy it after all thats what bikes are all about!

Secondly as for selling parts, i dont mind paying a little extra for the right thing, some parts are hard to come by and if some dont buy a bike and break it down these parts will become even less available and then where will we be. That said if the parts are rubbish or too expensive then no one should or will buy them. We are a community and will help those hwo know less. I have already been helped out and thats made me proud to be a member.

Awwww guys common, group hug!

Back