Please help me identify this bike

Janez64

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone. I need information on a model of MTB from Gary Fisher.

I found the frame and used it to build a monstercross bike that works great, and you can see it here:

The frame bears the model name: MAHI MAHI
The graphic of the Gary Fisher logo takes me to the years 1995/1996 (before and after those years it is very different).I have already downloaded all the Gary fisher catalogs from Vintagetrek, but the MAHI MAHI model is not there. Maybe it's the name given to a mtb for the non-US market?Thanks to whoever can give me some info (type of steel, etc.)

Attachments

• Blue-steel.jpg
    Blue-steel.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 14
Actually I thought initially that the model name and stickers are fake, homemade, done with a new paint while drop bar conversion.
Because also the name is very uncommon for an GF bike.

So I'm surprised on my own to find the bike in the German GF catalog for 96:
Gary Fisher Mahi Mahi de catalog.jpg

Just because it's hard to read for most here, this is a very low spec bike. It came with Altus and Gripshift MRX-100 components, noname hubs, etc.

Last edited:
Specs (as you can see this is on the bottom of their portfolio)
Gary Fisher Mahi Mahi de catalog specs.jpg

In particular the frame description doesn't sound good. "1 tube Cro-Moly" means to me the rest is even something like HiTen, so also the fork.

Last edited:
I'll wait for a better specs frame to swap my components (XT R. derailleur; Sora F. derailleur, Trouvativ crankset; Ambrosio wheels, Deda carbon handlebar...)

Specs (as you can see this is on the bottom of their portfolio)
View attachment 763743

In particular the frame description doesn't sound good. "1 tube Cro-Moly" means to me the rest is even something like HiTen, so also the fork.
Yes you're right. The interesting thing is that Mahi -Mahi weights less than Wahoo (full CroMoly) and little more than Mamba (Double butted CroMoly). To find some sensible improvement I'have to find a Tassajara or, better Aquila. Not very easy to find in Italy, where I live. I need a similar geometry (a little sloping- head tube higher than seat tube). Can you suggest me some models (weight 11 kg more or less) of '90s steel mtb?

Latest posts

Back