Plain Jane - 1990 Cannondale SM400 Fun bike

old_banger

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All :D

I am new here so may the 'Gurus' go easy on me yeah....?? Haha

Last year, a friend had called me and asked me whether I wanted an old bike which he had in his storeroom...his wife was making noise over the mess in the store. Told me that it was a Cannondale, unknown model and paint was in a very bad state. Went over to take a look, saw the rear dropouts and knew immediately it was an early 90s SM series. All the factory paint has been removed (bad job) and bike was in many many pieces fit for the junk yard. Regretted not taking pics from day 1 as it was it a very sorry state back then. hmmmm

As the frame has no cracks or damages...I took up the challenge to restore it with whatever original OE parts I can salvage and make it into a 'No-Frills' fun bike. Checked on the serial numbers and parts groups and it turns out to be a :

- 1990 Model Cannondale M400 (suntour XCM grouppo) Manufactured September 1989 Batch no. 078 :D

So here's the bike repainted in white. Added an early 90s Syncros seatpost from my spares, new El cheapo pedals, new saddles and a Girvin Flexstem. The front head tube logo will be replaced with a period correct one as soon as I find one....the shop I frequent only had one for late 90s model so I'll just slap it on for now....At least this old dame gets to live....haha

Cheers

[/img] ;)

Attachments

• csm1.JPG
    csm1.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 4,632
  • csm3.JPG
    csm3.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 4,633
  • csm4.JPG
    csm4.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 4,633
  • csm5.JPG
    csm5.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 4,633
ijeremy":23pn1dw5 said:
Very cool build, I love the clean lines of a rigid hardtail in white!

Hi ijeremy ,

Thanks! Yes, I prefer it to be clean & subtle for this one. You drive a porker? :)

When she lets me I do... its usually up to the car if she wants to be driven on any given day! lol... I actually own a repair facility here in the states.

Great 'Dale!

ijeremy":2am6et1u said:
When she lets me I do... its usually up to the car if she wants to be driven on any given day! lol... I actually own a repair facility here in the states.

Great 'Dale!

Thanks for the compliments! will post up a 2 wheel 1997 Porker build soon

Cheers :D

Got to agree, that looks lovely in white :cool: :cool:

But then I'm biased as I have a white one too ;) :cool: :LOL:

I used to own one of those Girvin stems around 1996, cost me around £80 second hand and never stopped squeaking from the day I installed it! Lovely looking bike though.

GT-Steve":7xymsmgr said:
Got to agree, that looks lovely in white :cool: :cool:

But then I'm biased as I have a white one too ;) :cool: :LOL:

Hey Thanks! Saw yours too, very nice and sleek looking ! Single speed is cool ;)

Back