Pine Mountain addiction....1992 Marin PM

It's amazing the difference in weld quality on these early bikes. This marin looks quite good. I'd like to see the BB area. I was actually surprised when I picked up some early rocky mountains last year at how terrible the welds were coming out of the toyo factory... just awful! They make the welds coming out of Taiwan and China today look artisan.

I can see why Marin's have a bigger following the construction looks quite good.

Oooo.....a few replies on my thread since I've not been on the forum. Best upload a couple of pics to show where the project is at present (it's been well over a year since I updated it!)

Resprayed a spare set of rockstar forks in satin black to match the frame and have re-assembled with a NOS Ritchey Logic headset.

New UN55 bottom bracket installed (and cranks are on now - just not in the photo).

Got it standing on a pair of Araya RM17s laced to silver XT hubs.

Handlebar is next to be restored - need to draw up the decals for it and polish it up before fitting.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":8vhxtvgi said:
Had thought about restoring a 92 Marin myself. Yours looks ace. :cool:

Cheers! I'm glad I rescued this now - took a punt on it with a stuck seatpost and managed to separate the two. Managed to get them apart without any damage - & using the original seatpost on the build!

I really need to get my finger out and get cracking on this - I'm in need of a front mech (I fancy an XT to match the rear) and I need to get the decals sorted - need to draw up the artworks and then give my lasercutting dude a call to get them cut in vinyl.

Pleased with how it's looking though. The orange isn't the best match in the world for the NOS stem but it's close enough......

Re:

Nice to see you've got your priorities right Mart ;)

Do i get a carpet or do i finish the bike? It's a no brainer... Bike everytime! :cool:

Re: Re:

yeti_bomb":1obmswkh said:
Nice build. Was wondering if you knew the seatpost size. Just picked up a 92 Pine myself.

Cheers! It's finished and is now my commuter so running slicks and cut down handlebars. Love it.

Seatpost is ø26.4

So recently I've been going through my bike collection - trying to get things finished/cleaned/lubed and ready to ride (rather than having a shed full of half finished projects).

The recent acquisition of a laser cutter at work has meant that I can finish off some of the decals that I'd drawn up for the frame. I've already sorted out my Indian Fire Trail with fresh decals so thought it was time to finally get some stickers done for my '92 Pine Mountain.

Since respraying and rebuilding I'd used the bike as a commuter for about 6 months. It's bugged me for a while that it hasn't been finished properly.....and since I've got myself a road bike for commuting the poor old PM has been sat dirty in the shed.

So after a clean and degrease and some sticker action......she looks like this. The frame has suffered a few knocks and scrapes in use but is still looking fresh.

Bike is missing it's canti brakes currently - I've swapped the XT m734s that it used to have onto my IFT and am in the process of fitting a set of mt60 DX wide profile cantis.

Back