Dablk's 93 Marin Team Marin and 89 Pine Mountain

dablk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Been looking for something to tinker with for a while and potentially restore. My go to for years has been Kona's but the nicer frames seem to be just commanding daft money. Been looking for alternatives but nothing much has come up. Then a Xl Marin was posted in the eBay section sadly in Nottingham. It looked big enough claiming to be a 21.5". So looked it up in the archive. Sadly in German only. Didnt know about them. I think the poshest Marin i saw in the local shop in Stirling was an IFT.

Any way this pic just had me hooked. Super clean like an aluminum frame but not an aluminum frame
Team Marin 1.jpg

If i can find them, I could probably handle refurbing a stem and fork in black.. So messaged the seller for some more pics. Yes the nickel pitting is bad but I was after a project after all...

Last edited:
So the first downer was it wasn't a 21.5 or even a 20.5. Its apparently a 19" (20.5 to top). As others have suggested it is an odd shape for a 19". taller at the headtube than expected and very long so going to give it ago anyway. Although i struggle on smaller frames these days and am more used to riding gates.

58389749-265F-4990-99AC-E708075D0C94.jpeg

I do want rigid forks for it but might also spray the RS Judy's black

D052240E-CC25-48E2-AAE3-2E1678A27573.jpeg F2E0830C-9D2B-438B-96B1-099CB9CC3EE1.jpeg

The quando hub and cassette are probably the lowest spec bits.

E0B84031-515B-45D9-A8E8-9766F25B0F7B.jpeg

No idea how well this all cleans up.

D696E849-4096-484E-A942-16E11E8C99D1.jpeg
front end was a nice surprise as it wasn't obvious in the advert.

The first bonus.. The seatpost did (with some lever effort twisting the bike in the stand) come out.

Last edited:
8856C9B4-97BE-4E60-AACB-E4C7EB157210.jpeg

Good news. She came apart. Bit of a fight with the BB but it went eventually.

So it’s currently a mixture DX/XT/200GS and other no random bits. Unfortunately the titec ti BB wasn’t what was in there.

I want to know how the frame restores before going wild on bits. So need to get the lacquer off first. Before going at the rust spots.

Last edited:
That's what I thought I had read. Its defo go some sort of coating on it. You see where the coating is missing between Team and Marin. looks polished rather than golden shade.

The lacquer has most likely dis-coloured over time, that's why it seems a yellowy tone. Might as well go straight to blasting or hand-sand if you are patient.
A nice project though, Rockstar forks in the pipeline?

Thank you. Yeah, trying to work out the best option to help with shifting the lacquer. Hopefully some paint stripper is soft enough these days (compared to old nitromors).
Yes rock stars are the long term plan with the brake roller wheel stem.

Been torn on which way to twist with this.
The frames coming on, lacquer and the scotch brite has started. I know some mirror these but the reality is my skill level won’t get all of it to mirror so going to aim for a brushed look. Seems to work with the final rub being a twist around the tube rather than along it s length. Haven’t resorted to chemical yet but some of the pitting just won’t shift completely.

The original lighter fork has so far eluded me. Another member had a correct length basic version so I have grabbed that for now to tidy up..

Unexpected half price accepts offer on eBay however brought in some Nos Manitou Comps. They are however threadless which really wasn’t my plan as I wanted the skinny stem look. So will do a black ahead stem for now

Picked up a 2nd bottle cage and currently stripping the paint off the pair ahead of painting them back to black. Also some cheap painted bar ends.
IMG_7382.jpeg

Found some tidy used x517 Mavic rims which I’m going to build with. I didn’t look for the orginal araya rims but figured would be silly money even if I found a tidy set.

Will add pics when I get a minute.

Picked up an STX headset as I couldn’t immediately find the a threaded Ritchey. Unfortunately it was slightly too tall for the threaded fork I had sourced.

IMG_7526.jpeg

So had to press on with the Manitou plan. Had picked up a scrap RS crown to have a go at threading. Interestingly enough that was aluminium and a total arse to get started. So onto the steel manitou.

IMG_7532.jpeg

These started far more easily. Left it long to practice but as the cutting was going ok, I decided to just thread all the way to what I needed.
C1EDC966-92AD-4DB1-9F6A-8465EC9CDEC2.jpeg
All worked out well in the end.

IMG_7536.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back