Peugeot Z-Team 653

It's an FSA K-force (from memory) carbon crank, campagnolo 50t chainring and a dura ace 34t ring. Thanks for the compliment!

She weighs in at 9k bang on.

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and am wanting some advice for my Peugeot 653 (Pink/purple) which I was going to sell but now seeing the following they have, I think I will gladly restore mine.

Mine came from the middle of France 7 years ago, luckily I found it through a great French mate who was also able to pick it up for me on his drive from home.

My predicament is that I bought some new Mavic Aksium wheels for it and realize that the rear triangle is around 124mm for the dropout (hub) spacing and the new wheels are 130mm. So therefore I would like to know if the rear triangle is made of Reynolds 753 or Reynolds 653. Hopefully it is 653 steel which I believe can be cold set? I would much rather use modern wheels instead of the old school freewheel.

My frame has the cable guides on the under-side of the frame.

It has a mix of parts and I would like to modernize the bike.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7NTWR ... sp=sharing

Regards,

Tim

I thought 653 was a concept tube set. 531 front triangle and 753 rear, or at least chainstays.

No doubt it can be done if you really want to

xxnick1975":w1p8bjwy said:
I thought 653 was a concept tube set. 531 front triangle and 753 rear, or at least chainstays.

No doubt it can be done if you really want to

Yes I thought it was 753 rear as well and people on the web say if you try to bend 753 by cold setting, it will break which would be a tragedy.

I can spring the wheel into the back but then they say the splayed drop-outs also put strange loads on the cartridge bearings which the Aksiums use. Ahhh!!

I've got modern 130mm Campagnolo Khamsins and they fit fine!

Ps taking it on its first ride at the weekend all being well.

MartinB123":t5ttebsg said:
I've got modern 130mm Campagnolo Khamsins and they fit fine!

Ps taking it on its first ride at the weekend all being well.

When you say fit fine do you mean you don't have to splay out the rear triangle a bit to fit the wheel in? Maybe riding mine with the new wheel will "adjust" the spacing and I am being too pedantic.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I built the frame back up today. Few bits to finish off (bar tape, rear brake cable) as need something to ride as I broke my modern racer last weekend (snapped chainstay going up Hardknott Pass!)

Not sure if I like the ahead convertor, but I have a pair of carbon forks to go on, just need a threadless headset. Wouldn't mind getting hold of a pair of original forks with a longer steerer and installing alongside a threadless headset so I can run a modern setup without convertor.

Anyway, here's a pic!

Attachments

• IMG_20200717_210812.jpg
    IMG_20200717_210812.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 406
Finished now - hopefully take it for a ride later today!

AAKg745.jpg

looks very good! I've tried headset converters, I think the problem is more the size of the stem than the style - ahead stems all seem to be wrongly proportioned for thin tubes steel frames, especially if they're for 1 1/8" steerer tubes and you've used a converter with a shim. Yours doesn't look too bad though, and I like the combination of paint/chrome/black components!

Back