Peugeot Z-Team 653

Re:

Very nice! I do like it with the chrome forks. Check out my Athena (bought from Maca) :D

16582149010_0b062d66a8_h.jpg

Very nice, Jules!

The BB has been chased now and each side screws in smoothly. £10 from Walton Street Cycles in Oxford - top blokes!

Collecting a few bits to complete the build.

Can anyone confirm what size seatpost these take? It definitely isn't 27.2mm!

my 753 one is a 26.6 and I think the 653 Athena was a 26.4 (it might have been a 26.6 to but Jules may be able to confirm)

Re:

Just checked: my Peugeot 653 is 26.8. The serial number suggests this was made in 1989. Peugeot liked to chrome forks and part of the stays, sometimes painted over them, like the 653. They liked to chrome 753 as well, even though this was definitely not advised. I have two Peugeot 753s (one kept as spare), the chrome and the forks still in excellent condition, the bike as good as ever - still gets admiring comments and people asking if they can pick it up to check the weight.

In case you don't have the catalogues, here's the link:

http://cyclespeugeot.com/Catalogs.html

Great looking bike you've got.

Re:

Some tubesets had different dimensions, eg 753 imperial or metric, but I don’t know about 653 - maybe there were different versions. The Reynolds catalogue from 1992 shows 753 and 653 with the same dimensions. Not able to post good copy of the catalogue but if you go to the bottom of the page on this link you can see it: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2 ... 19682.html .

I went back to check and interchange seat posts to make sure I’m not getting mixed up. The Peugeot 753 I use a lot (1987) has a 26.8 Campag seat post: this post fits in the 653 (1990, spends the winter months set up on the turbo) and in the spare 753 frame. The 26.8 in the 653 is similarly interchangeable with the other two, as is a spare 26.8 Campag post I have. Which means, at least in these 3 frames, the seat tube takes a 26.8 seat post. The brake cable guides on my 653 are underneath the top tube: on top with 753.

So, suspect the solution is to go to friendly LBS and ask if you can try several seat posts to get the right size unless you know someone nearby who has a range of seat posts. If you’re anywhere near York you’re welcome to try some seatposts – I’ve clearly got too many.

Good luck.

Been cracking on with this of late. Used some well-matched nail varnish to tidy the patches of surface rust up near the crank. It looks presentable from a distance which is fine by me!

Cracked on and got her finished...

Attachments

• U3iPb8LRGdgTkcxOFqXOvKJpY0YPfZBwMKaGyYGeFVw.jpg
    U3iPb8LRGdgTkcxOFqXOvKJpY0YPfZBwMKaGyYGeFVw.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,081
Re:

Nice mix of components and frame. What crank did you put on it? Looks great, much better than any of the offerings from Shimano or Campagnolo at the moment.

Regards,

Pat

Back