Peugeot Vitus 979 Build - Arrested Development.

Left-handed drill or Easy Out should get the grub screw back out no problem. There are plenty of ways.

Yes, that happens a lot.... these grub screws are best left in place. They are really tricky in re-inserting and finding the thread straight. So hopefully Dave can set this right for you. There are replacements for these and I am not sure if the issue is with the reproductions or the originals or... both.

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

Re:

Firstly due to some family issues I have not had any time recently to spend on this build or update until today when I have had a day to myself and really got myself stuck in. You may recall the seat post grub screw had siezed and the allen head rounded and was going nowhere...well I did have loads of advice and a kind offer from Dave (mdvineng) to sort this for me which I had not taken advantage of due to my circumstances, anyway I decided to have a go at drilling this out myself, I got some left hand thread ? drill bits and screw extractor bits and managed to get the original bolt out, it was fun as I didnt realise the original one had a ball bearing at the end which surprised me and the drill ! . I had already bought a new and better designed replacement grub screw which has a much deeper recessed allen head and thankfully it has gone in ok as it looks like the threads on the socket dont seem to have been too damaged. I had to fit a Mavic bottom bracket as the BB shell was chamfered .I probably would have got close to finishing it tonight but ran out of outer cable to do the rear brake cable , still need a front mech and am waiting for some NOS maillard pro pedals from france as this SSC chainset requires french thread pedals. The last photo is just taken now after a days toil ( ignore the garish settee ) . When its done I will take some better outdoor photos and list all the parts, many of which were NOS so it should be a looker when its done.

Attachments

• 979pug11.jpg
    979pug11.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 979allenboltnew.jpg
    979allenboltnew.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 193
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 193
Re: Re:

mdvineng":hkj2maw8 said:
Super job. Hope the family are in a better situation too.
Kind regards

Thanks Dave , yes things are a bit easier now so I`m hoping to get out on the bikes, instead of just buying bloody bits for them ! .

Back