Peugeot Optima

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Flipping heck, here we go again! 😂 Another eBay browse I will live to regret !
Spotted this and outed it on here. The same as my first proper road bike I bought new in 1990. Only a bit grimmer. The only real issue is the downtube paint which looks like it's been colour matched by Stevie Wonder. Although to be fair, it does match the saddle 😂
I was even encouraged by Mrs M to get it so it's all her fault
A few photos for you. Looks all original apart from the saddle and 105/MA3 wheels. That red is so wrong int'it. Oh, and the modern pedals as I can't stand toe clips 😂
Some nice touches and will look half decent when I get the chance to strip, clean,polish, sort out the paint shenanigans, and put it back together again. IMG_20240515_173849377.jpg IMG_20240515_173919823.jpg IMG_20240515_173946451.jpg IMG_20240515_173958532.jpg IMG_20240515_174007094.jpg IMG_20240515_174023060.jpg IMG_20240515_174033021.jpg IMG_20240515_174053124.jpg

Happy bank holiday retro folk!

I had a few hours to myself on Saturday afternoon, so got cracking on tidying up this bike.
Armed with £27 of bits from the bike shop, tape from the local independent DIY store and my multitool and ride tool kit, I made a start.
Took the mechs of for de-shiting, with the usual white spirit and brushes, followed up with soapy water and some grease before refitting. Taking the opportunity to clean up the frame a bit before putting them back on.
IMG_20240525_162310884_HDR.jpg IMG_20240525_162704339_HDR.jpg IMG_20240525_170144667_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Next up was trying to tidy up the front end. Bar tape looks original and I remember the bars and stem are, as the same were on my first one. Also to swap front and rear brake cable arrangement. Also tried to clean up the lever hoods a bit but this is as good as it gets.
IMG_20240525_162405181_HDR.jpg

Had to swap the knackered chain for a new one and was embarrassed at having forgotten how to fit a new one, with the joining link. BITD, I used Sedis and were easy to join together when cut to size. I'd totally forgotten about these links. So after a quick YouTube video later, the new chain was on.

So having re-cabled and taped, new chain, a clean up of the bottle cage later and with pedals pinched off another bike 😱 it was ready to ride again. I had a mission on Sunday and wanted to ride this bike for it.
IMG_20240525_201922866_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I had put out an SOS on here for some bar tape and a local lad kindly offered me his for free. Needing a bit of training, I was happy to ride the 28km of flat roads to collect it. Just over an hour of headwind later I arrived at Guinnesisgoodforyou's house and was welcomed inside for a coffee or two and a good chat with him and Mrs Guinnessisgoodforyou
Really appreciate your kindness and help my friends!
One roll or bar tape pocketted, constant sun and the knowledge of a fantastic tailwind back home, I blasted home (well ok, in my deluded world) in about 50 minutes, loving this bike the more I rode it! Once home and recovered, I fitted the tape. Looks brilliant , so pleased 😍. The only thing left to do now is find a longer seatpost as this is a bit too short for my liking. Sad, as it's original and fluted, but I don't want to damage the frame. Also sad is that I don't know the diameter as I haven't got my verniers close by so will have to take the bike into a shop or garage to measure it. I'll need a 250mm to replace this 220mm one, so if you see anything on your travels ........ Please let me know. I'm guessing at a 26.6 or 26.4 at this stage.

Muz

BTW the Rolls saddle is so comfortable, I'd forgotten how good these were. I'm sure they varied quite a lot though, some I had were really hard. I was going to put a white Flite SLR on this bike, but this is staying where it is! 👌
I've also found another Peugeot frameset from the mid 90s that I'm tempted by, but don't have a groupset to put on it and not sure what would look best.
Enjoy your bank holiday Monday my friends 😎

Muz

I had put out an SOS on here for some bar tape and a local lad kindly offered me his for free. Needing a bit of training, I was happy to ride the 28km of flat roads to collect it. Just over an hour of headwind later I arrived at Guinnesisgoodforyou's house and was welcomed inside for a coffee or two and a good chat with him and Mrs Guinnessisgoodforyou
Really appreciate your kindness and help my friends!
One roll or bar tape pocketted, constant sun and the knowledge of a fantastic tailwind back home, I blasted home (well ok, in my deluded world) in about 50 minutes, loving this bike the more I rode it! Once home and recovered, I fitted the tape. Looks brilliant , so pleased 😍. The only thing left to do now is find a longer seatpost as this is a bit too short for my liking. Sad, as it's original and fluted, but I don't want to damage the frame. Also sad is that I don't know the diameter as I haven't got my verniers close by so will have to take the bike into a shop or garage to measure it. I'll need a 250mm to replace this 220mm one, so if you see anything on your travels ........ Please let me know. I'm guessing at a 26.6 or 26.4 at this stage.

Muz
Lad? 🤣

Back