Period Correct, Whats Proper?

Re:

There are lots of versions of 'correct'.

My version is a little easier/simpler.

Pick up Graham Watson's book 'The Tour de France and it's Heroes'.

See Laurent Fignon on the cover, riding his 'Raleigh'?

That's the bike, those are the parts, wear that Super U kit.

Every time you ride, ride that bike, wear that kit.

I do bow to the modern crash hat, and I have a Garmin.

I hope I may be forgiven for these transgressions......and for using tubs.

Richie

LDP,

Actually, there are a couple of differences in the LeMond TVT Worlds Replica VS his real ride during the Worlds race. One being the septets. He used a Suntour XC Pro Mountain Seatpost-25.0mm diameter in a 330mm length(not a road post oddly). The Replica was stocked with a Campagnolo Record Aero Post-25.0mm. I never got a real answer as to why other than the Suntour posts were harder to come by than the Records.

I have seen the real ride not only in his office but in his house. As well as in the Hall and at events. He did switch in 1990 to Campagnolo on the bikes, but the real ride was a Suntour post.

I would think building a bike "period correct" based on what was used by that person at that time would be the best. But, that could be really tough given the issues of age and cost. As well as teams and riders switched stuff out all the time or relabeled things to satisfy the sponsors.

While Garmin rode 3TTT seatposts, many riders used Thomson posts with black tape or black Sharpie on the logos. I know this from working with both Thomson and Garmin. They don't admit to it. They get in trouble i they do, but it is clearly seen in many pictures.

I would build based on period correct for majority of the timeframe that the bike was ridden.

A note on the LeMond Worlds bike....I am having trouble finding one of the Suntour XC Pro Posts. I found a SurbePro version. But the coloring is off VS the XC one. Eventually I will find one.

Re:

Thank You Gentlemen,
For the excellent responses, sorry I haven't been back sooner but I woke up to a burst pipe and have been dealing with that for all of the day.

: Mike

Re:

Thanks once again for all the responses, I have thoughtfully read all of the posts and tried to distill it down to what applies to me, I am trying to keep this reasonably generic as it may help someone else with their oddball race bike build.
Here are my takeaways for my situation, production of my frame was anywhere between mid 1973 to early 1976 (there were no complete bicycles produced), records are sketchy and based on serial numbers I'm going to call it a 1975. If I limit the components to a manufacture date of 1973 to 1977 to allow for updates that would have occurred on any amateur level race bike.
Based on this logic am I period correct...???

Re:

I can't speak for anyone else, but as far as I am concerned, yes.

I built a 1978 clubmans racer, originally based on an unidentified frame and then later changed to a Dave Lloyd.

With a lot of help from Midlife and copious use of VeloBase.com, I was able to identify every major component available in 1978, and then go searching for suitable parts of the right age.

Re: Re:

NeilM":kdr4d21t said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but as far as I am concerned, yes.

I built a 1978 clubmans racer, originally based on an unidentified frame and then later changed to a Dave Lloyd.

With a lot of help from Midlife and copious use of VeloBase.com, I was able to identify every major component available in 1978, and then go searching for suitable parts of the right age.

Thanks Neil, I appreciate your views on this, I'm trying to set my guidelines for this build and the wealth and depth of knowledge here on RetroBike is priceless. I also have been spending a lot of time on VeloBase, its an incredible resource.

Best Wishes: Mike

All my bikes are in use so a complete period correct rebuild isn't practical. I tend to stick with parts that look like they belong with the bike and it can often mean this is very much dependent on the frame. Some examples:
-My main bike is a mid 80's Russian track bike. I bought it as a frame and there's no way I'd ever be able to find original components for it. It wears almost all brand new but retro-looking components, so Andele track chainset which looks like the original, new track hubs laced into box-section polished rims, tan wall clinchers, Cinelli 1A with 70s curly Dawes bars, plain alloy seatpost with a Unicantor and a modern brake. So to the untrained eye it looks pretty period but it isn't.
-My geared bike is a late 70s Bob Jackson frame with all the running gear off a mid-90s Raleigh Strada, so it's Shimano Biopace, 105 aero levers and semi-aero alloy wheels. To my eye it doesn't look out of place.

What I mentioned about components that look like they belong; the frame cracked on my geared bike recently so I need to replace it. I'd only use those components on a frame from 70s up to 90s. In my eye, they don't look right on earlier frames from the 60s and they belong on newer frames from the 2000s. Older components on a new frame don't work for me. Likewise, I wouldn't expect an Italian frame to have ever had Shimano components, so I wouldn't put them on an Italian frame.

I find for my older bikes it becomes a bit harder to do a period build. Original stuff is really scarce and can be expensive I've got two 1930s frames but neither of them came with any of their original components. One was a bare frame and the other has received a complete rebuild with new components in the early 50s. This was quite inspiring for me, because the in 50s cycling was taking a boom and there are stacks of components available. It was still a time of austerity and they don't look out of place on the older frames, particularly if you choose lower end stuff, so in my mind it is quite legitimate to build a rough 30s frame up with lower end 50s components in good condition. I kind of see it like something a less well-off club rider might have done, or a kid building up his father's or grandfather's bike with what he could afford.

Jonny69":1dcizrpw said:
All my bikes are in use so a complete period correct rebuild isn't practical. I tend to stick with parts that look like they belong with the bike and it can often mean this is very much dependent on the frame. Some examples:
-My main bike is a mid 80's Russian track bike. I bought it as a frame and there's no way I'd ever be able to find original components for it. It wears almost all brand new but retro-looking components, so Andele track chainset which looks like the original, new track hubs laced into box-section polished rims, tan wall clinchers, Cinelli 1A with 70s curly Dawes bars, plain alloy seatpost with a Unicantor and a modern brake. So to the untrained eye it looks pretty period but it isn't.
-My geared bike is a late 70s Bob Jackson frame with all the running gear off a mid-90s Raleigh Strada, so it's Shimano Biopace, 105 aero levers and semi-aero alloy wheels. To my eye it doesn't look out of place.

What I mentioned about components that look like they belong; the frame cracked on my geared bike recently so I need to replace it. I'd only use those components on a frame from 70s up to 90s. In my eye, they don't look right on earlier frames from the 60s and they belong on newer frames from the 2000s. Older components on a new frame don't work for me. Likewise, I wouldn't expect an Italian frame to have ever had Shimano components, so I wouldn't put them on an Italian frame.

I find for my older bikes it becomes a bit harder to do a period build. Original stuff is really scarce and can be expensive I've got two 1930s frames but neither of them came with any of their original components. One was a bare frame and the other has received a complete rebuild with new components in the early 50s. This was quite inspiring for me, because the in 50s cycling was taking a boom and there are stacks of components available. It was still a time of austerity and they don't look out of place on the older frames, particularly if you choose lower end stuff, so in my mind it is quite legitimate to build a rough 30s frame up with lower end 50s components in good condition. I kind of see it like something a less well-off club rider might have done, or a kid building up his father's or grandfather's bike with what he could afford.

Hello Jonny69,
Its taken a while to get back here, work has been eating my brain.
I like your views and attitude toward bike building, it makes a lot of sense to build this way. The advice on this thread has helped me a lot, as it made it easier to firm up a build plan with a little wiggle room as far as components go, it also saved me some money :D . Its a shame that your Russian track frame cracked as bikes from that part of the world are rare and mysterious to me, having worked in the defense industry for over 30 years I have a certain fondness and respect for items made in the former USSR. I have a 11 jewel stopwatch marked CCCP from the 1950,s that is untouched and still works (most of the time :shock: ), the quality is amazing.

: Mike

Back